Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Problem With Internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MrVulcan

MrVulcan

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:49 AM

Hey, I came here to ask about a spyware question a few months ago, and I recall people here being very helpful, so I'm here with another annoying problem. Recently, my Internet connection has been acting strangely. Several applications that require a net connection for updates (Spybot, Adaware, etc.) are sometimes telling me that I cannot connect to the update server. However, when I ask them to try again, it works. In both Firefox and IE, the browser will tell me it cannot load sites (google.com, microsoft.com, other big sites), but if I refresh once or twice it will work perfectly. It sometimes works the first time I ask, it sometimes takes a few tries. I've noticed the error popping up on every site at one time or another, so it doesn't seem to be site specific.

As for trying to address the problem, I've searched with both Adaware and Spybot and neither report anything suspicious. I've also run HijackThis, but it turned up nothing out of the ordinary (exact same logs as prior to the problem popping up). Norton also says my system is clean, so I'm very confused. I've also tried the steps mentioned in the Mozilla FAQ, but it did no good. Any thoughts on what I should do? Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:23 PM

What kind of internet connexion do you have? Have you monitored the connexion speed? This sounds, since all applications seem to have problems at one time or another with connecting, to be either a hardware problem, or a problem with your ISP connectivity.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 26 June 2006 - 12:23 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 MrVulcan

MrVulcan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:30 PM

Probably should have mentioned it, I have Comcast as my service provider (Cable). I haven't noticed any problems with the connection speed, since I can download large files (several hundred megs) without any interruption. I'll try checking some of the other computers in the house (connected to same router) and see if they have the same issues as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users