Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

did new windows updates and now my fonts look bad

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#1 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:25 PM

I did the following updates and now my fonts look different and bad.

(edit, turns out it was this specific update:)

KB3013455

I made no other changes to the computer, only these updates.

Some fonts seem the same as before, such as the fonts in the task bar. Others are weird, like the text I am typing right now is variably too fat or too skinny, with jags and dots, like it was printed with a messed up old typewriter or something...  Most of the fonts on this web page look messed up. The main fonts on wikipedia look clear, but larger (and maybe a different font) than they used to, but the menus and side bars look horrible and jaggy like this text here. It also effects my text editor program (it's not only a web browser thing).

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what steps I can take to get my fonts back to normal? My dpi and cleartype settings seem to not have changed but maybe I am not looking in all the right places...  I don't even know why these patches would do this.

Edited by bludshot, 10 February 2015 - 09:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mwblv

mwblv

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:58 PM

I also have a Vista SP2 machine with fonts nearly unreadable after applying today's Ms patches.

I uninstalled "Security Update for Windows Vista (KB3013455)" which impacted TrueType fonts (MS15-010) and my issue is resolved.

Fonts are readable, once again.

Good Luck.

#3 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:33 PM

Hmm yes, thanks for the info

"Known issues with this security update

After you install security update 3013455, you may notice some text quality degradation in certain scenarios. The problem only occurs on systems that are running Windows Vista SP2 or Windows Server 2003 SP2. Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available."

Hopefully they fix it with a future patch, because I don't really want to uninstall it and be unpatched against a vulnerability where a website can contain embedded true type fonts that allow remote code execution...

#4 glnz

glnz

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:39 AM

bludshot - There might be an undo for the font problem, although I'm not a tech and not sure.

Most of the way down in https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-010 .

If you try it, please let us know.

Edited by glnz, 11 February 2015 - 07:39 AM.

#5 D808Centaur

D808Centaur

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:48 AM

Same problem. Windows Update installed several patches overnight, including 3013455. Some fonts now looking odd.

Fonts in Windows Explorer (eg on Desktop) are fine, and many websites too, but those in Google Mail / Search look strange (eg pixels from bottom of some characters showing at top). Also Courier New is badly affected -- looks like a printer with missing ink nozzles. Shows in Notepad++ and MS-Word, so it is not simply a Browser 'thing'.

In the security bulletin, that True-Type security update looks to be Not Aplicable for Vista, which is probably why whatever they have changed has buggered things up for us Vista people (excuse my English -- been banging my head against the wall all morning looking for cause of this one).

Like bludshot, I am not keen on uninstalling the patch. I can tolerate it for a short while. Hopefully MS will find a solution very soon.

In the meantime, a workaround may be to simply increase the font size in your editor -- this works for Courier New in Notepad++.

#6 Zzznorch

Zzznorch

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:09 AM

I found this thread as I was having font problems with Windows 2003.  This KB3013455 patch screws up that platform too.  I removed it and the server is fine again.

On a side note I have found a problem with the patches in conjunction with InstallShield Professional on Windows 7.  Project builds started failing when attempting to stream the resultant files.  I just did a system restore to before the Windows Update yesterday and the projects are working again.  At some point I will have to test the patches individually and find out which one is causing the trouble.  There was an issue with a patch last October that screwed up SHA-2 signing and maybe there is something involved with that again.

I am getting tired of playing Russian Roulette with these patches...

UPDATE: It looks like patch KB3004394, that deals with Root Certificates, is having problems too.  The behavior is similar to the now pulled KB2949927 patch from October 2014.

Edited by Zzznorch, 11 February 2015 - 01:05 PM.

#7 corkyinmn

corkyinmn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:45 AM

The KB3013455 patch screwed up my fonts  I removed the patch and everything is fine again.

This is on a virtual server running Server 2003 with Citrix 4.5

Thanks to all that posted.

Have been a guest for years- finally joined!

#8 PackFan611

PackFan611

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:09 PM

KB3013455 screwed up my fonts as well. Virtual server running Server 2003 too.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

#9 JainNorth

JainNorth

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:49 PM

Hi, ditto on the Vista SP2 computer, how do I uninstall the single update KB3013455, it's making me crazy!! Help pretty please!

#10 D808Centaur

D808Centaur

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:05 PM

Hi, ditto on the Vista SP2 computer, how do I uninstall the single update KB3013455, it's making me crazy!! Help pretty please!

Start-->Control Panel-->Programs and Features-->View Installed Updates

Search for KB3013455 (search box is top right of window).

Right-click then select Uninstall

Then follow instructions (as I haven't uninstalled it myself yet!)

(NB - Written on a Windows7 laptop, but method looks pretty much the same as for Vista, from memory.)

#11 JainNorth

JainNorth

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:12 PM

Perfect!! Back to normal, thanks so much!!

#12 linkot

linkot

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

Many thanks !!!  

Back to normal and couldn't have done it without your technical help.  

#13 Duncan1892

Duncan1892

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:39 PM

Start-->Control Panel-->Programs and Features-->View Installed Updates

Search for KB3013455 (search box is top right of window).

Right-click then select Uninstall

Then follow instructions (as I haven't uninstalled it myself yet!)

(NB - Written on a Windows7 laptop, but method looks pretty much the same as for Vista, from memory.)

This requires restart of your system

Thanks for your help. damn you KB3013455 

Does anyone have blurry street names on google maps? that has nothing to do with Windows updates I dont think

#14 linkot

linkot

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:12 PM

No sooner did I fix the font issue (with your amazing help) ... I have a Windows Update message > "Important (2)"

Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB3034196)  

and - you guessed it

Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB3013455)

Could it possibly be a patch for the KB3013455 that I just UNINSTALLED???

I removed the check mark ... but wonder if I should proceed with the first Update ... being I just updated!

Edited by linkot, 12 February 2015 - 12:20 AM.

#15 pschnob

pschnob

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:56 PM

same problem happened to me last nite on my XP machine. uninstalled the above update (..455) and the issue is gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users