Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Invalid or damaged Bootable partition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

This could just as easily be a hardware problem so feel to move it as appropriate.

I bought this  computer on November 17 so the worst case scenario is that it's still under warranty.  It wasn't $300 then, it was $200.

A program crashed and after repeated attempts to restart it crashed every time.  Thinking it might help I rebooted the computer and got the error message "Invalid or damaged Bootable partition" and it failed to boot.  This comes up after the logo displays so I should be able to get into the UEFI.  I haven't tried yet.  I made one attempt to restart after leaving it powered down for a half hour but now it's just powered down.

This is the same computer I tried to install Mint on but I never wrote GRUB and all of the Mint data is still sitting there in its various partitions and it has never interfered with Windows.

I can probably rescue a lot of data with my Mint DVD and an external HD, and I have an old Ghost image but I'd rather fix the damaged bootable partition.  Can you help?  I have just now started Googling this.

PS.  I don't have a real install disk.  Just a "recovery partition" that will restore the factory default OS.  Before I did that I'd just wipe it and put Windows 7 on it.

Edited by JWebb, 10 February 2015 - 04:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

Fixed!  Here's how. Although this is a log shot it's quick and harmless.

Once the system has started up, the first thing you want to do is choose Places \ Computer from the menu.

image68.png

This should show you all the drives available in the system, including your Windows drive. In my case, that is the 52.4 GB volume.

image69.png

You can try and double-click on the drive to open it… and if it immediately works then lucky you!

God bless you, Linux!

#3 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:02 PM

This article talks about copying files.  Does Mint have a built in disk imager?  I'd rather boot from DVD to Linux and use a built in disk imager (it it has one) than boot into a Ghost rescue disk, which doesn't allow me to explore the image.

#4 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

In case anyone is still reading.

I got the same boot error today and tried the same fix (boot from Linux DVD) but the machine refused to boot from it.

After a couple of tries I went back into the UEFI and set it to "optimized factory defaults" and it booted into Windows.

I'm afraid to shut down the machine for fear it won't start again but I have to at night.  I don't know if I can boot into Linux or Ghost to make a disk image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users