Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would this be a good desktop for gaming?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheFearBear

TheFearBear

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

Hey, i'm new to this forum and a bit of a rookie when it comes to specs. I know a bit about intel but when it comes to AMD i'm in the dark.

I'm considering buying this PC for mostly gaming purposes, but i'm not looking to spend huge amounts to get a premium end desktop. So would this be suitable to play games such as Heroes of the Storm, Evolve, Battleground and some other steam games?

AMD 8 Core FX-8350 Eight Core 3.5Ghz (4Ghz Turbo Core)with Cooling [/size]
8GB(2X4GB)Gaming RAM [/size]
1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive [/size]
AMD R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 VGA card [/size]
Windows 8.1 [/size]
64bit/ WIFI Ready [/size]

Or would one of these intels be better?[/size]

Haswell I7 4790 Quad Core 3.6Ghz [/size]
8G Gskill Gaming DDR3 RAM [/size]
1TB SATA3 HDD [/size]
Nvidia GTX 960 Gaming video card [/size]

Intel Haswell i5 4590 Quad Core 3.3GHz
8GB DDR3 Gaming RAM
1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive
nVidia GTX 960 Gaming Card
64bit /WiFi Ready

Edit: Topic moved from Computer Gaming to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:08 AM

Any of the three would be fine for gaming.  You may not get the most FPS possible on any of them, but they should be acceptable.  More FPS would require either a much more expensive video card or a Crossfire/SLI configuration (requiring another video card).  Of the three the i7 is probably the best, but also the most expensive.

#3 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:58 AM

Don't pick SSD as a huge and main one! It should be runned under Windows - so the capacity is good of 164 GB, not more. Better handle with an additional 2 TB normal HDD as for storages.

This.

Now, 8-Core CPU is a bit expensive, no? 4 or 6-Core will made the job as well.

Your specified graphics are your favorite and are okay, I should guess. It's a matter of choice for everyone.

.....I also would advise to pick 2 DVD-RWs, for a disk-to-disk copies.

.....a Middle-Tower ATX or a Full-Tower ATX, 650W PSU - and it's a dream not a computer! Luck!

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:09 PM

Hi and welcome to BC- So I well tell you right off the bat that I am a Intel ' fanboy ' When it comes to speed when comparing to an AMD equal ... you can't beat intel.

So.. if your looking for an AMD build with all these leet cores on it keep in mind that MOST software out there and games will only recognize a MAXIMUM of 4 cores.  So what will those other 4 cores you got be doing.  thats right... nothing have a look at this thread.

Nuff said.  At this time. There simply are not many applications that support more than 6 cores let alone 8.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:59 PM

I have to disagree with rhino1366 on a number of things.

You're talking a hybrid drive so the recommendation for a small SSD doesn't apply, even if it did I recommend going with as large an SSD as you can.  I'm on my third SSD, due to upgrading for size.  My current drive is 256GB and I wouldn't recommend going anything smaller unless you're an advanced user as space will quickly become an issue.

As the others have said the number of cores is over kill, depending on what you're doing with the machine.  I've got a six core Intel CPU which shows up as 12 cores in Windows, AMD CPUs don't do this.  My machine will max out all 12 cores when encoding a DVD with Handbrake.  My normal use is World of WarCraft on one screen, a web browser on another, and a movie on a third, while ripping a DVD.  If you're just doing one thing at a time a four core AMD or dual core Intel CPU will be fine.

I haven't built a machine with two optical drives since last century.  One optical drive is fine, unless you have a need to duplicate disks on a regular basis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users