Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you end infinite update?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

As is becoming very common, MS has released a bad update today. The current one sits there and never finishes. KB3001652 is something for Visual Studio 2010 which I do not have on my computer. But it got sent to me anyway. And it won't install. It just sits there with the "installing" message and the flickering bar. Clicking the "Stop Installation" button does nothing. It continues sitting there. Forcing a reboot with the big red switch also does nothing. When you then try to restart updates it goes back to the one it was idling at before and resumes idling. Why is this one NOT present in the list of updates when you check at the beginning so you can CANCEL it? It is now impossible to finish updates, many of which are security related and therefore important. How do you kill a useless update in Windows so that other updates can be installed?

Edited by Alchemist, 10 February 2015 - 03:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Russd

Russd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:37 PM

This worked for me:

Power off, power on.

Windows updates, click "... are available", deselect the VS 2010 update, run the other updates.

I also do not have Visual Studio 2010 installed.   This seems to be a Microsoft error.

#3 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:43 PM

Yes, and as I said in the original post, I did that. The hanging update is NOT offered in the list. I need some way to delete an update already in progress and have it go on to the others..

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:59 PM

KB3001652 Visual Studio 2010 Feb 10, 2015 Windows Update Hangs systems
Windows update (KB3001652) 2-10-2015

Not official but...KB3001652 has been pulled
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

OK, I have used f-ing SYSTEM RESTORE just to get rid of that uninstallable update. And I had to use it twice because when I tried to use it the first time the usual "install updates on shutdown" routine kicked in and it sat there trying to install the uninstallable update. So the second time I booted in safe mode and was able to complete a system restore. Now, as much as I hate the thought, I will try running Windows Update again. Because I need the other updates. :( I hope it works this time.

#6 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

Some progress is being made. I got most of the updates to install. But several of them failed. And one of them nuked Firefox. Since it's not my default browser this is not too big a deal, but it's damned odd for them to remove a widely used browser. They can't very well claim it was a mistake or "false positive". So now I've got to reinstall because I need it for certain things. Good thing I save the profile regularly. And I've still got to retry the failed updates because those are also security fixes. Running a Windows PC is a full time job all by itself.

Edited by Alchemist, 10 February 2015 - 05:19 PM.

#7 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:41 AM

Hello,

If you have reinstalled yet let me know. A lot of Windows update issue's can be repaired by fixing the corrupt files.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:04 AM

I was not affected by this update but I believe the update is not for Visual Studio per se but for MS Office programs/tools that are built by/with VS 2010, 12 & 13.

This update installs the Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime. This is required to run Microsoft Office-based solutions that are built by using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, Visual Studio 2012, and Visual Studio 2013.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3001652

This is why so many people are claiming they don't have Visual Studio installed, why am I getting update(s) for VS?

Hope this helps to clear things up. :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 13 February 2015 - 05:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users