Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I recover all browser settings following a system wipe?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ICOYAR

ICOYAR

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:39 PM

I use Pale Moon 64Bit using a Windows 7 64-Bit. Several weeks ago, I had to perform a total system wipe, and I do not know where the original files are located, as to what the settings on this were before. I would prefer to locate those file(s) using PhotoRec (since I have that installed).

Would recovering browser settings also retain my addons, passwords, and bookmarks as well?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

what original files are you looking for? if you did not back anything up you wont be able to recover anything if you wiped out your computer

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:57 PM

Did you use Pale Moon's Backup onto an external device - before the system wipe?  If yes, a Pale Moon user can tell you how to restore.  If not, kaz20 has spoken correctly.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 ICOYAR

ICOYAR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:58 PM

what original files are you looking for? if you did not back anything up you wont be able to recover anything if you wiped out your computer

Noy nessecarily true, if I use a recovery program, as things are very rarely permanantly deleted.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:06 PM

Piriform's Recova is supposed to be one of the top 10 freebies.  If you're going to recover whatever is recoverable, do it real soon.

Edited by RolandJS, 10 February 2015 - 03:06 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users