Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java: Keep or dump?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:44 AM

I am also getting the message about a Java update. There have been two recent threads regarding Java:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565929/java-update-available-requires-newer-version-of-windows;-repeat-later/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566274/java-wont-install/

In both of them, there are many warnings about running Java on XP machines. But how can I find out if removing Java will cause me problems? Is there any way I can tell if I am using any critical apps that need it?

I did find one site that lists some common apps that require Java:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-big-a-security-risk-is-java-can-you-really-quit-using-it/

I don't use any of them as far as I know.

Before I just uninstall it and see what happens, are there any other lists or any way to tell if I have any apps that will fail?

PS: I notice that the spell checker flags "XP" on the XP forum? :-)

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:50 AM

Put simply...I have run 1 system with java installed...and 1 system with it uninstalled...I saw no difference.  I currently have it installed on both systems, for no particular reason other than the possibility that I reinstalled it on one to try to troubleshoot some problem posted in the XP forum...and I'm lazy when it comes to installing/uninstalling something that doesn't seem to make any difference on my systems.

For a more definitive, more intelligent answer...see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566274/java-wont-install/?p=3623028 .

Louis

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:50 AM

I’ve lost track as to whether or not this has been included in prior threads but please check it out

Windows XP and Java https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/winxp.xml

“how can I find out if removing Java will cause me problems?”

--- The good thing is if you need Java, the program will notify you that Java is needed

--- If you receive a notification that Java is needed you can ask BP about it

------ I have seen unsafe “bogus” recommendations for Java

You have done your homework, so personally I would uninstall Java because I do not know of any instance in which it is unsafe to do so. Someone else with more experience than me can chime in on that if it’s possible to be unsafe by uninstalling Java

If you do need end up needing Java, go directly to https://www.java.com/en/  to get it

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,483 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:05 PM

As I said in both of the other topics...

You don't need Java.

Although Java is commonly used in business environments and many VPN providers still use it, the average user does not need to install Java software.

I removed Java on my XP machine years ago...and nothing I use ever asked for where it was.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:12 PM

As I said in both of the other topics...

You don't need Java.

Although Java is commonly used in business environments and many VPN providers still use it, the average user does not need to install Java software.

I removed Java on my XP machine years ago...and nothing I use ever asked for where it was.

I'm not questioning this. I just wondered if there was any way to find out if I have anything installed that needs it. I thought someone might have compiled a list of applications or even written a program to scan a PC looking for a list of applications. None of the programs I have found listed are familiar to me.

If not, I'll probably uninstall it and see what happens. Can I just disable? Then if I get errors, I only have too reenable it.

Thanks

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,483 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:28 PM

Removing Java will not cause any issues with your computer. You may not be able to play some online games or access/use those web sites which require it. If the computer is part of a business network, some applications may not work correctly.

Java allows you to play online games, chat with people around the world, calculate your mortgage interest, and view images in 3D, just to name a few. It's also integral to the intranet applications and other e-business solutions that are the foundation of corporate computing.

What is Java

Java is a programming language and computing platform first released by Sun Microsystems in 1995. There are lots of applications and websites that will not work unless you have Java installed...

What is Java technology and why do I need it?

If you're going to use Java, many security researchers and computer security organizations caution users to limit their usage and to disable Java Plug-ins or add-ons in your browsers.

If you need Java for a specific Web site, consider adopting a two-browser approach. If you normally browse the Web with Firefox, for example, consider disabling the Java plugin in Firefox, and then using an alternative browser (Chrome, IE9, Safari, etc.) with Java enabled to browse only the site(s) that require(s) it.

Krebs On Security: ...Java

To defend against this and future Java vulnerabilities, consider disabling Java in web browsers until adequate updates are available. As with any software, unnecessary features should be disabled or removed as appropriate for your environment.

US CERT: Disable Java in web browsers

#7 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

Quietman7,

Thanks for all the information. I don't play online games and I am self-employed, so I should be fine. I'll try disabling it.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,483 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

You're welcome.

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:21 PM

Very good Cynthia. Maybe I wasn't using the exact words but I am definitely on the same page as Quietman7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users