Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 or 7?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

I need to upgrade my old PCs running Win XP. Should I install Win 7 or 8 on the new machines? I've heard that Win 7 is a more stable release than 8? Is there any truth to that? Can I even get Win 7 anymore? Thanks. I have two machines, one desktop and one laptop, connected with a P2P network in my home office.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:15 AM

Hi Cynthia :)

Honestly, that choice is up to you. In the end, it comes down to your own personal preference. If you like Windows 7, go for it, it's supported until 2020 so you're still good for 5 more years with it. If you don't mind the metro UI and want the latest Windows OS, go for Windows 8.1. Windows 7 is said to be more stable than Windows 8.1 because it's "older", so of course, it received a lot more bug patch than Windows 8.1 which is still relatively "new". As long as these two machines have drivers on the manufacturer website that is for Windows Vista, they'll have drivers for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 (the ones for Vista will work on them if there's none for 7, 8 and 8.1). Windows 8.1 is more light-weight on the base resources usage and consumption than Windows 7 (mostly because it doesn't rely use Aero anymore), that's probably the biggest difference that will matter to you. Is it possible to have your computer and laptop specs?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:23 AM

But if you don't feel like having to learn something completely different, might as well stick with Windows 7. Personally, it's still XP all the way for me, but that's me. You need more than basic security knowledge and common sense to remain with XP (or any other OS for that matter)... It's not getting anymore security patches. However, no new Windows operating system will protect you against plain stupid. The malware removal forums are flooded with posts from people using Windows 7 and 8, supposedly much more secure operating systems... We're seeing very few Windows XP posts in there nowadays... :wink:

Edited by Phantom010, 10 February 2015 - 10:26 AM.

#4 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

Hi Aura,

I don't have a personal preference. I don't know anything about 7 vs 8. I am using XP. I like it OK, I guess. It's a tool. I want it to allow me to do my work with out a lot of hassles.

I guess I was hoping for some usability comparisons, like your comment about how much of the PC's resources it uses.

As for the configuration, that was going to be my next post. I am in the process of defining the specs for the new machines (one desktop and one laptop). I usually get the most high-end business machines I can find -- maximum memory, fastest HDD, etc.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

Well, if you are to use these computers mainly for business, you can pick Windows 7, since you won't have to deal with the metro UI that adds nothing really to the OS if you still access your features and configurations the old way. Otherwise if you want to pick Windows 8.1, you can install ClassicShell to never deal with the main metro UI again. To be honest, Windows 7 is more business-oriented than Windows 8/8.1, but this is just my opinion. We aren't deploying it at my job on that argument too.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:43 AM

If XP was native on the system then the hardware is just as old. XP was back in the dialup days. So you're dealing with a single core cpu's, low memory, 10/100 nic cards, usb 1.0/2.0, Some mobo's with only IDE and no sata, older bios, older drivers. You're really missing out on a lot of performance these days. I would retire that old XP to linux and start tinkering on it and build a NEW dekstop system with windows 7.

Edited by technonymous, 10 February 2015 - 10:44 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:49 AM

You should run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if you can run Windows 7. Some software will not run on Windows 7 so watch out for that also. You would also be dealing with driver issues if you have a piece of hardware like an old printer with no Windows 7 driver support

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

I agree with technonymous on retiring the XP computers to linux and buying new hardware if you can afford it.

#8 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:51 AM

If XP was native on the system then the hardware is just as old. XP was back in the dialup days. So you're dealing with a single core cpu's, low memory, 10/100 nic cards, usb 1.0/2.0, Some mobo's with only IDE and no sata, older bios, older drivers. You're really missing out on a lot of performance these days. I would retire that old XP to linux and start tinkering on it and build a NEW dekstop system with windows 7.

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 2 GB or RAM (could add more, but not needed for XP) bought in 2008, and could easily install Windows 7 on it. Performance is excellent so far!

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:52 AM

As I said below, pretty much every Windows Vista drivers are compatible with Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. So even if a hardware component have drivers for Windows Vista only and she ends up running 7 or 8, 8.1, the drivers will be able to be installed. Maybe not via the packaged installer, but she can extract the content via 7zip or WinRAR and install them directly via the Device Manager -> Update drivers.

unite_blue.png

#10 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

Absolutely. The hardware will be replaced. I guess I should have it clear that I will be getting all new hardware. I do have one very old HP 5000 laser printer and one newer Epson 845. The HP was been an amazing workhorse, but needs to be retired. The Epson is a piece of junk and will be replaced.

Any special reason you prefer Win 7? I really don't mind having to learn a new UI as long as it's really better. I'll have to do it eventually, so might as well bite the bullet while I am doing a lot of other upgrades.

I'm no alpha techie, so really have had no intention of tinkering with Linux. But that has been suggested so many times, that I might just have to give it a try in my unlimited free time. :-)

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:01 AM

It would be good to know how old the computers are.  I have an XP computer from 2002 that I know would not run Windows 7 but runs XP fine.

#12 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:05 AM

It would be good to know how old the computers are.  I have an XP computer from 2002 that I know would not run Windows 7 but runs XP fine.

The current machines are 8 years old. They will both be replaced with top-of-the-line hardware. I will also be replacing the printers. I should have made that clear. Sorry.

#13 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:06 AM

I really don't mind having to learn a new UI as long as it's really better.

"Newer" doesn't necessarily mean "better"... You probably should try them both and compare, before buying. I know I'll go with Linux before Windows 8, that's for sure. But I hate Linux, so I'm sticking with XP until I can find something really worth changing for. For now, Windows 7 or 8 are "downgrades" for me. :lol:

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:38 PM

I respect the Phantom's opinion but there is an alternative that doesn't seem to have been mentioned so far - stick with XP for another six months or so and go straight to Win10 if you think your hardware will last that long.

Win 10 appears to be getting generally favourable reviews but take a look in the Win 10 section in BC yourself. MS say it will be on release as a finished OS in the Autumn 2015 as opposed to the various test versions available at the moment. If you can't wait that long, then I too would say go with Win 7.

Chris Cosgrove

#15 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:08 PM

I respect the Phantom's opinion but there is an alternative that doesn't seem to have been mentioned so far - stick with XP for another six months or so and go straight to Win10 if you think your hardware will last that long.

Win 10 appears to be getting generally favourable reviews but take a look in the Win 10 section in BC yourself. MS say it will be on release as a finished OS in the Autumn 2015 as opposed to the various test versions available at the moment. If you can't wait that long, then I too would say go with Win 7.

Chris Cosgrove

The machines should have been replaced a long time ago. The desktop takes 5-6 minutes to reboot and Outlook takes 3-4 minutes to load. And Outlook doesn't shut down normally anymore. I have to force it. The laptop is even worse. I cannot reboot via the Start button. I have to use the Shutdown command from the Dos box. Both machines hang at least once a week despite being rebooted almost daily.

On the other hand, at the rate I am going, it could be July before I get everything ready. I do have to find replacements for a couple of applications that I do not want to carry forward.

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users