Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interactive Logon process error msg on Dell Inspiron

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:49 AM

Hello.

Trying to repair a Dell Inspiron Model # N7110 which upon starting up, pops up the "Interactive Logon Process initialization has failed" message.

The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium but I'm not sure if it's 32 or 64 bit.

This machine has not been running for almost a year and there is nothing on it that needs to be saved, so mostly I'd just like to wipe/correct what ever is wrong with it and go back to Square One, or that fresh-smelling OOBE.

I've tried all the usual routes, F8 and all the variants of Safe Mode but all of them result in the same error message.

I also tried the "Last Known Good Configuration" but that just resulted in the laptop sitting there quietly humming along for over half an hour before I powered it down.

I've got an old System Recovery Disc but it's for a 64 bit system and when I tried Startup Repair on the Recovery partition a window popped up indicating that "this version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with this version of Windows...", which is why I'm thinking it's a 32 bit system.

Well, all that led me to head over to Digital River to grab a legal copy of a System Recovery disc for a 32 bit system but alas, for those that have been following that fiasco, these .iso files are no longer available.

I've also tried all the other options from the 64-bit Recovery Disc and upon it's initial launch, I see two versions of Windows 7, the C: Recovery as well as the D: OS - but doesn't that seem backwards?

• Startup Repair  (which results in "could not detect a problem" message)
  • System Restore  (it can't find any restore points)
  • System Image Recovery  (which I can't use since the owner never created that media)
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic  (which reboots the machine and then gives no other info)  *see UPDATE below
  • Command Prompt  (would not even know where to start with this one)
  • Recovery Manager  (which leads me to the Microsoft System Restore & MS Startup Repair Tool, which just loops me back around)

So that's where I'm at currently.

As I mentioned, there is nothing on this machine (Files, Photos, etc.) that needs saving, am just looking to get it back to working correctly.

Any ideas on what steps to take next, or steps I might be missing?

I'm only a partial noob so if you've got some semi-complex steps you think might work, feel free to pass them on, as I'm ready to try almost anything, including some flavor of Linux that might help me restore this Windows OS.

[UPDATE]

Just before I posted this, I popped that System Repair Disc out and rebooted 1 more time and now the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool appears to be running.

Test pass 1 of 2 ran and the status never changed, "No problems have been detected yet."

Test pass 2 of 2 ran and the status did not change, "No problems have been detected yet."

Computer then restarted, giving me the option to load one of the two Windows 7 profiles and I selected the 1st one listed, which, resulted in the old "Interactive Logon...." message.

I rebooted, selected the 2nd one listed and finally got to the sign-in page, entered in the password, screen went white and then *pow* got the Blue Screen of Death which only flashed for about 20 seconds.

I'm going to try to capture the info / codes listed there.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

F8 takes you to the Advanced Boot Options.  With this computer there should be the option Repair your computer.  This will access the System Recovery partition to set the operating system to the state it came out of the box.  You can find instructions for this here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:36 AM

Well, I rebooted several times, trying to recreate that BSOD I got but now when I start Windows normally, the cursor just hangs there on a white screen.

I can move the cursor around and occasionally the "busy" blue circle pops up but nothing else is happening (that I can see or tell).

The odd thing is, if I do the old Ctrl+Alt+Delete three finger salute, I can get to the options to "Lock this computer", "Switch User" etc.

I selected "Log Off" and for a moment, I saw a desk top with some bogus scam scan running (like a PC Optimizer Pro or something like that) and then it logged off. Before it did that I saw a balloon notification in the lower left corner that stated "malicious software detected" or something like that.

Is it possible this machine is so infected that it's not letting me to the desktop?

I've never seen anything like this.

I'm going to try to replicate the above - and try to capture it.

Strange days.

Hello dc3, thanks for the link. Will explore that as an option as well.

Winterland

Edited by Winterland, 10 February 2015 - 11:39 AM.

#4 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:15 AM

@dc3 - good morning ~ when I select the F8, "Repair your computer" is not among my selected options.

All the other usual suspects are there:

Safe Mode (by itself along with  "w/ Networking" and "w/ Comm Prompt"

Enable Boot Logging

yada, yada, yada

I tried recreating the "Log Off" issue I posted about yesterday and when I did it this morning, it went to the desktop, flashed a couple of times and then *pow* back to the BSOD.

I took a somewhat cr*ppy video of the whole process and would be glad to post it if you (or anyone else) thinks it might help.

The video shows the BSOD but I'm not sure I can get any of the codes that were flashed from it. 

I've been Googling my behind off trying to find a resolve for this and came across this and was wondering if you think it might get me somewhere.

I've got a System Repair disc for Windows Home Premium but, of course, it's for a 64 bit system and doesn't seem to want to work on this laptop, although I can get to that System Recovery Options window.

I'm at a loss in this moment and am entertaining the idea that maybe this is simply a hardware failure.

Winterland

#5 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:26 AM

Oh yeah, and after the latest BSOD, I selected "Last Good Known Config" which lead me right back to the "Interactive Logon Process initialization has failed" message.

:mellow:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:29 AM

If you can ever get to the desktop see this kb knowledge base. In your first post "the C: Recovery as well as the D: OS" it may be possible to boot the recovery partition. Download the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Burn the iso and boot the disk.  How many partitions are shown. If possible post a screen shot.

If you can boot to a command prompt type the following

Diskpart

At the Diskpart prompt type

list disk

If you only have one hard drive on the computer you should see disk 0 as the hard drive. type

select disk 0

list volume

What volumes are shown. The letter, type, and sizes

type

list partition

What partitions are shown the type and sizes

What I am trying to determine is if the Recovery Partition looks intact and possibly getting it to boot by marking it active using Partition Wizard.

#7 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:53 AM

JohnC_21 - Hello and thanks for checking in.

I'm headed off to work in just a little bit but will try this first thing in the morning.

Just wanted to clarify - your instructions are a "do this" or "do that", yes?

I've already downloaded the Partition Wizard but if I can get to Command Prompt - which I believe I can - I should run the steps you outlined and post them here, yes?

I'll be coffee-fueled early tomorrow morning and will post all the info I can.

Thanks again for checking in as this laptop is driving me crazy.

Winterland

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:58 AM

Yes, If you can get to a command prompt do the Diskpart commands as I posted first. I do not know if it will work but it may be possible to boot the recovery partition by marking it active or as a boot partition.

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

Hey Winter!

I was about to post the KB link that JohnC_21 posted, story of my life-Day late & a $ short :-P

Have you seen/tried this yet? http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/73001-interactive-logon-process-initialization-has-failed-3.html#post1966455

>>>I believe the problem you are having occurs because the Windows file "Logonui.exe" is missing from the "%Systemroot%\System32" folder. By replacing that file the problem should be resolved.<<<

Maybe you can grab a copy of Logonui.exe 32 bit from someone you know put it on a USB stick and use a Linux live CD to either replace it or look for another copy in the winsxs folder?  Worth a shot, no? If logonui.exe 64 bit is interchangeable I'll gladly upload a copy of mine :)

HTH :busy:

Edit: Did some digging, Logonui.exe starts the "Welcome" GUI

Edited by Union_Thug, 11 February 2015 - 12:58 PM.

#10 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:20 PM

Hey hey, I'm trying to get one foot out the door, headed off to work so here's a couple of low-rent shots of what I'm seeing when I boot up using the MiniTool Partition Wizard disc.

Hope this works.

Thug! - I'll check out that KB in the morning. Gotta go serve the People.  :lol:

AliceLT_Bleeping1.jpg

AliceLT_Bleeping2.jpg

Winterland

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:36 PM

Well, that kind of blows my theory. I would have thought the 101MB (Edit: Not sure why it is FAT - that may be the Dell Diagnostic Partition using F12 at boot. If you tap F12 at boot does it give an option to do a factory reset? ) partition would have been the System Reserved partition and also marked active. That is how it is usually set up. Form what I see the Recovery partition is the boot partition that is marked active. Dell must put the BCD and the factory recovery partition there and then accessed using F8 at startup which does not work for you. I would follow Union Thug's advise. If that does not solve the problem then try Unhiding the 101MB partition and make it active using Partition Wizard. If that does not work, set it back to hidden and the Recovery Partition as Active.

61165d1268750490-system-reserved-partiti

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 February 2015 - 01:55 PM.

#12 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:21 AM

Hola.

The Madness continues.

So, per the KB that Union_Thug sent me, I decided to launch my cute Slacko Puppy on the Dell Laptop and look for this file before I went deleting and/or replacing anything.

I can see the file in this location:  /mnt/sda3/Windows/System32

When I checked out the Properties, I'm seeing:

Owner, Group: root, root

Size:  11K (10752 bytes)

Change Time: 20:43:51  12 Dec 2012

Modify Time:  09:14:22  14 July 2009

Access Time:  17:16:59  11 Feb 2015      (*please note I did not adjust my time zone when I launched Puppy)

Type:  application/x-ms-dos-executable

DOS/Windows executable

Extended Attributes:  None

Run action:  No run action defined

In the Permissions below that, all 3 categories - Owner /  Group / World all have the Read / Write / Exec boxes checked.

There is one column past that with 3 boxes:  SUID    SGID  Stick  and none of these were checked.

Contents indicate...

PE32 executable for MS Windows (GUI) Intel 80386 32-bit

___________________________________________________________________________________

So, was this file I thought might be missing and/or the file that I need to replace?

I don't have access to a 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium machine, so if that's the case, am I screwed?

I'm running the 64-bit Win 7 Home Premium.

Many thanks and the hoist of a New Belgium Slow Ride to both Union_Thug and JohnC_21.

Winterland

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:57 AM

I have a 32bit version of Windows 7. I will upload it to my Dropbox account and give you a link. I am not sure it will help as you have the file. I will check my size against yours.

I think your problem is here.

I selected "Log Off" and for a moment, I saw a desk top with some bogus scam scan running (like a PC Optimizer Pro or something like that) and then it logged off. Before it did that I saw a balloon notification in the lower left corner that stated "malicious software detected" or something like that.

Not sure how you would fix this on the computer that does not fully boot other than to use a bootable virus scanner like Kaspersy Rescue Disk. dc3 would be able to answer that better than me.

Edit: My file is exactly the same size as  yours. I don't think it will help but if you would like, I will upload it to Dropbox.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 February 2015 - 10:05 AM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:59 AM

Is this computer still under warranty?  If it is, you can contact Dell and they will send you a installation disc and a disc with the drivers for free.  The Dell website for requesting these discs can be found here.  Enter your Service Tag information in the search box, then press Continue.

Something is very wrong here.  All of the articles I've read state that the Windows 7's System Recovery partition is accessed through the Advance Boot Options.  The option to Repair your computer should be there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:57 AM

@JohnC_21 and dc3 - thanks for the feedback and updates gentlemen.

And dc3, I didn't mean to leave you out when referencing the hoisting of the crispy New Belgium Slow Ride, many thanks to you for helping me along the way.

JohnC_21 - no need to upload the file, although I appreciate the offer. As you make mention, it's already there and is the same size as yours, so I don't suspect anything will be accomplished by deleting and replacing it.

I'm think I'm going to throw in the towel on this one.  

All that's left is how to explain to my friend what has happened (or, what most likely happened).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does all of this type of activity point to a possible hardware failure or is it more likely a serious corruption of the Windows OS?

I'm guess I'm just trying to clean house and get the language I need to explain to her - and myself - what we were seeing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lots of energy and feedback devoted to this issue. It's just another example of how great Bleeping Computer is and can be, so major props to everyone that checked in, weighed in and offered up avenues to investigate. Even if I didn't achieve exactly what I wanted to accomplish, I did learn a great deal along the way. And, how awesome is that?

Winterland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users