Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook will soon be able to ID you in any photo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:51 AM

Appear in a photo taken at a protest march, a gay bar, or an abortion clinic, and your friends might recognize you. But a machine probably won't—at least for now. Unless a computer has been tasked to look for you, has trained on dozens of photos of your face, and has high-quality images to examine, your anonymity is safe. Nor is it yet possible for a computer to scour the Internet and find you in random, uncaptioned photos. But within the walled garden of Facebook, which contains by far the largest collection of personal photographs in the world, the technology for doing all that is beginning to blossom.

Catapulting the California-based company beyond other corporate players in the field, Facebook's DeepFace system is now as accurate as a human being at a few constrained facial recognition tasks. The intention is not to invade the privacy of Facebook's more than 1.3 billion active users, insists Yann LeCun, a computer scientist at New York University in New York City who directs Facebook's artificial intelligence research, but rather to protect it. Once DeepFace identifies your face in one of the 400 million new photos that users upload every day, “you will get an alert from Facebook telling you that you appear in the picture,” he explains. “You can then choose to blur out your face from the picture to protect your privacy.” Many people, however, are troubled by the prospect of being identified at all—especially in strangers' photographs. Facebook is already using the system, although its face-tagging system only reveals to you the identities of your “friends.”

http://news.sciencemag.org/social-sciences/2015/02/facebook-will-soon-be-able-id-you-any-photo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:21 AM

That's why I hate fb, i don't even remember how fb's wall looks like :P

Edited by TheDcoder, 10 February 2015 - 03:22 AM.

#3 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:05 AM

Its going to be like next step of privacy protection but no protection!
Once it is deployed, its like autotagging and all people will know you look like this and were at that location.
Why dont FB share this new tech bit to law enforcement agencies so that they can use the surveillance cameras and CCTVs more effectively?
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#4 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:47 AM

Never understood why people needed to expose themselves to the world like this! Some teenagers have even committed suicide after being ridiculed and intimidated on Facebook. I don't have a Facebook account to my name, nor pictures of myself and my family on the Web, nor will I ever.

Sorry for those who will suffer privacy issues in the future, but you've asked for it...

Please stick around after posting. Helpers are never far. Don't disappear for a week!
Our help is free, so please have the courtesy to reply in a timely manner. Thank you!

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

I can alos, PROUDLY, say i have never had, or will have, a facebook account. Infect i don't think i've even evr followed a link that led to the site. It looks like in this world of many cameras and algorithms searching their photos and videos sunglasses, wide brimmed hats and false moustaches and beards might soon become popular. The next thing you will need to look out for is cameras trying to identify you from the way you walk.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:12 PM

That's good! :)  Congrats!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users