Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory leak issues.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 G2idlock

G2idlock

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:24 AM

Hello everyone,

I need some serious help; I've had some issues for the past month or so, I've had a fairly large memory leak with something in my system. I can't figure out what is causing this, be it a program or a driver.

Is there a way to see what is causing this mass memory leak? I've tried 'System Explorer' and 'RAMMap'. But these do nothing more than assertain the memory leak has no source.

Syu7nDw.pngcH5yIvk.png

tdu8gWe.png

Edited by hamluis, 23 April 2015 - 08:39 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:27 AM

Did you check your ram? Try checking it with MemTest86

#3 G2idlock

G2idlock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:17 PM

Just did, 0 Errors. Took about 1.5 hours to complete. This is normal right?

#4 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:20 AM

Yes, its normal

#5 G2idlock

G2idlock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:23 AM

It's a gradual thing, the memory keeps filling up and gets to about 11 gigs of occupied ram in about 2 days worth of use. Sometimes less. A restart normally does the trick with clearing it.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:39 AM

It seems like Mozilla Firefox is taking the most of your RAM, and I've seen a lot of issues in the past that were associating Firefox with memory leaks. The best would be for you to take a screenshot of your Task Manager, under the Process and click once on the Memory column when the memory usage reaches around 11GB like you say. This way, we could really see which process(es) is(are) using the most RAM. Also, make sure to have Show processes for all users checked as well.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:27 PM

- Did you recently update one or more drivers ? The fact that "Svchost.exe" occupies so much memory (~ 300 MB) seems to point in that direction.

- What's the size of the filecache ? (That doesn't show up in Task Manager).

- Does this thread give you a better clue what to look for ?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/542383/possible-memory-leak-somewhere

#8 G2idlock

G2idlock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:13 AM

It seems like Mozilla Firefox is taking the most of your RAM, and I've seen a lot of issues in the past that were associating Firefox with memory leaks. The best would be for you to take a screenshot of your Task Manager, under the Process and click once on the Memory column when the memory usage reaches around 11GB like you say. This way, we could really see which process(es) is(are) using the most RAM. Also, make sure to have Show processes for all users checked as well.

I ran my PC today without using Mozilla at all, same thing. Played my games as usual and held back from browsing the internet outside of that needed for my school work.

Here's a couple screens.

beKimTe.png

HIQ8LzW.png

DPHHVYo.png

aIEPq35.png

- Did you recently update one or more drivers ? The fact that "Svchost.exe" occupies so much memory (~ 300 MB) seems to point in that direction.

- What's the size of the filecache ? (That doesn't show up in Task Manager).

- Does this thread give you a better clue what to look for ?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/542383/possible-memory-leak-somewhere

Looked through this, I have a similar problem, but I'm not running window 8.1, rather, I'm currently using windows 7 and the problem although similar does not have the same solution. Or at least one that i could find.

By any chance is there a program or function in Windows that allows me to monitor what is paging all this ram?

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:20 AM

Repeat the instructions below until no Important Updates are found.

rONW46K.pngCheck for Windows Updates
Follow the instructions below to check for available Windows Updates and install them:
  • Click on the Windows Start Menu and select Control Panel;
  • From there, click on System and Security and select Windows Updates;
  • Click on the Check for updates button in the left-pane;
  • Wait for the scan to complete and see which updates are found, Recommended Updates and Recommended Updates (or Optional Updates);
  • Click on X Important Updates (X being the number of updates being found) and make sure that they are all checked;
  • Install every Important Updates found and restart your computer once it's done;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:11 PM

Run RAMMAP again and open the tab "User counts". What's the size of the "Non Paged Pool" ? If that part of the memory is VERY large in size then I point my finger to some (network) driver. Was one of your drivers updated in january (Windows Update ?) ? Your description of the problem seems to suggest that.

The solution for this problem ( in the thread I provided) was to tweak the registry but then you have to go to the website of the manufacturer (helpforum ?) or perhaps a GOOGLE search will give a clue what tweak to apply. (I hope you know how to use the Windows Registry Editor).

#11 G2idlock

G2idlock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:00 PM

Finally found the problem and the solution. Sorry I didn't post till now, I had given up all hope prior to solving the problem and lost track of the forum.

The cause of this was a self installed rootkit. As far as I know there were not intrusions into my computer.

This could have been a bit-coin miner for all I know. Malwarebytes was not detecting this until I specifically made it scan for rootkits... Which I find weird that it is not an automatic search.

nW16tt0.png

evKSBNI.png

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:02 PM

Scan for rootkits isn't enabled by default in Malwarebytes, since it increase by quite a lot the scan, hence why. Well glad that you found the problem and fixed it too :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users