Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Doing a windows 7 repair install as suggested...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 4youte

4youte

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:52 AM

I started a thread months ago at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/556073/infected-with-stolendata-and-trojanagentai-ccleaner-question/  and have had alot of interaction the staff member bloopie. Malware was rules out for my computer issues, but I was very relieved to see that I could re-install the OS without reformatting it. I carefully went through the instructions from the following 2 links :

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/win7s-no-reformat-nondestructive-reinstall/
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/how-tos/how_repair_faulty_windows_installation_without_reformatting  (method 2)

I was wary at first with my confidence of doing this without screwing up my computer, but I believe I can do it. I carefully went over the steps from the links, made a text file I'm gonna print out for reference, downloaded produkey to get my windows product key, and plan to hopefully have the installation run while I sleep. I'm running a backup now for my important files on my internal hard drives just in case in the meantime. I don't think I really need any assistance with this surprisingly, but thought it couldn't hurt to post a topic here just in case. I do have a question though. If my computer is unattended for hours when it asks for my product key and to activate now, would that be an issue? I plan on entering the product key and activating when I wake up. I don't think it should be an issue. Afterwards, I will do all the necessary updates until all of them are downloaded and installed.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:40 AM

The PC "should" wait patiently for you to get back to it.

#3 4youte

4youte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:43 AM

I was about to uninstall WIndows 7 SP 1, but there is no option to uninstall the service pack update in the installed updates. On the installation DVD it says 'Already installed on your computer'. Use this DVD only to reinstall the operating system on a dell pc. This DVD is not for installation of programs or drivers.' So I don't know if I should go ahead and reinstall my OS, or if I need to figure out how to uninstall Windows 7 Sp 1. I'm thinking because there's not an option to uninstall the service pack update that it would be ok, and go on with reinstall process. I wanted to make sure though so I don't make the wrong decision.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:19 PM

All right, I'm lost. Let's start from the beginning ... what are you trying to accomplish?

#5 4youte

4youte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:52 PM

I'm wanting to uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1, but I see no way to do that. I was asking if it would be ok to start the repair install without uninstalling anything since I don't see the option to uninstall the service pack. I'm copying and pasting the info below from http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/win7s-no-reformat-nondestructive-reinstall/  

Avoiding problems with Win7 Service Pack 1 

If you’re not running Win7 SP1, skip ahead to the next section.

You can also skip ahead if you’re repairing an SP1 setup with a Win7 setup DVD that already contains the SP1 files — but such disks are still relatively rare as of this writing.

If you’re still reading this paragraph, then you’re most likely attempting to repair a Win7 SP1 setup with an original, pre-SP1 DVD. That’s OK, provided you take an important preparatory step.

Win7 SP1 replaced many of your original system files with newer versions. If you try to install the older, original Win7 files over the newer SP1 files, the setup process will balk at what it sees as an erroneous downgrade.

So, if you’re attempting to repair Win7 SP1 with a pre-SP1 DVD, you need to remove SP1 from the target PC before proceeding. Fortunately, that’s easy, as Figure 1 shows.

W20110714-TS-Uninstall.jpg
Figure 1. Control Panel’s Uninstall an update feature makes it a cinch to get the SP1 files out of the way.

Here’s how: Open Control Panel’s default view and click on Uninstall a program. In the left-hand pane of the uninstall applet, select View installed updates. When the Uninstall an update dialog box opens, scroll down to SP1 — listed as Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB976932) — and select Uninstall.

The system will churn for a while, but when it’s done, SP1 will be gone — and you’ll be able to use an original Win7 setup DVD to repair your system.

After reading what I just coped and pasted, I don't know if the DVD that I have is a pre-SP1 DVD or not. On the DVD itself it says
'Already installed on your computer. Use this DVD only to reinstall the operating system on a dell pc. This DVD is not for installation of programs and drivers.' Do you understand now?

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:13 AM

Uninstalling SP1 is a terrible idea, unless it is being done for very specific program compatibility on an isolated machine. You will open your OS to many vulnerabilities and reinstall a huge range of bugs that were fixed many years ago.

What exactly are your issues? It may be we can help you overcome them.

#7 4youte

4youte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:08 AM

I get the feeling that you don't have an understanding as to why I posted a thread in this particular forum in the first place. I am going to do a repair install, and I was reading the specific instructions from links that were given to me by the member Bloopie in my previous thread that I posted a link to at the start of this topic. I also posted the links that I got the instructions from at the start of this topic as well.  Bloopie's conclusion was to either do a complete re-install, or to do a repair install. I finally have the confidence to do the repair install, and now I'm getting mixed up from your replies since you seem to be telling me the opposite of what the first step was from the links I was given. My computer is screwed up, and I want to do a repair install of my operating system which seems like the only thing that could fix my issue without doing a complete re-install. In the links it says I should uninstall my operating system, and then go on with the repair install. I would be re-installing the operating system which is why I believe it was suggested to uninstall the operating system before re-installing it. 

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:51 AM

If your OS has SP1 installed & your re-installation media has SP1 integrated then there is no need to uninstall SP1 (KB976932). From the first link you provided:

Avoiding problems with Win7 Service Pack 1

If you’re not running Win7 SP1, skip ahead to the next section.

You can also skip ahead if you’re repairing an SP1 setup with a Win7 setup DVD that already contains the SP1 files — but such disks are still relatively rare as of this writing.

From the link to your malware topic you are running SP1, and you previously stated in reply #3 "On the installation DVD it says 'Already installed on your computer'." which I presume means SP1? It would be helpful if you could tell us EXACTLY what the DVD title is or better yet scan it (if you have a scanner) and provide us a copy of the image (.jpg, .png, etc)

BTW both those tutorials are quite dated and haven't been updated... I recommend this one from Sevenforums.com (best tutorials on the net IMHO - always maintained & updated) for a Repair Install http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

HTH :)

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:51 AM

Ok, I'm starting to understand your confusion...

Unless your machine is quite old SP1 will be included on the disks you have. The link is quite old, I think that should be taken into consideration.

"Just do it"... go ahead with the repair install that is. If there is a compatibility issue the computer will let you know.

#10 4youte

4youte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:54 AM

Ughhh I'll have to read all that later. Finally figured out how to do the install with the other links, now I have to look at this long list of things to do. So not mentally prepared to read all of that right now. I'll get back with you.

#11 4youte

4youte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:59 AM

Didn't see your second reply. The DVD I have says Reinstallation DVD Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 64 bit. So you're saying to not uninstall anything before doing this?

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:01 AM

Didn't see your second reply. The DVD I have says Reinstallation DVD Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 64 bit. So you're saying to not uninstall anything before doing this?

That's right... you have SP1 installed, the disk is SP1 ready.

#13 4youte

4youte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:08 AM

I want to clarify that you don't want me to uninstall SP1 before reinstalling it right? Do you think the old method in the links would be sufficient enough to do this?

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:14 AM

That is correct. You do not need to.

The tutorial you read is before SP1 was commonplace on install disks, so you would first need to uninstall, then repair, then reinstall... (SP1)

But as the disk you have already has SP1 on it you can just do the repair installation without all that jazz,.

Edited by TsVk!, 11 February 2015 - 05:19 AM.

#15 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:20 AM

Yes to both your questions, your tutorial is very similar but I would also do steps 22-25 from the tute I linked to.

Two words of caution:

1) I would make a full backup before proceeding with the repair, YMMV.  Things CAN go wrong.

2) You may or may not lose some of your installed programs & you WILL have to re-install all Post SP1 updates. (currently there's about 190 of them, if you have M$ Office, there's many more)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users