Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have never seen anything like this before!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:31 AM

A company I'm affiliated with provides product and business videos for potential prospects. Up until now, they offered invidual links for these videos. However, they are now providing a site with all the videos on it. The problem is propsects are not going to go to a site, navigate to the media tab, check through a list of menus and if they should locate the proper menu, then open the playlist and look through a list of 20 videos.

So I had found the videos I wanted and then went to Netvidhunter to extract the URL's. I then went to tinyurl.com to reduce these massive links to manageable size with names people could identify. Well, the links worked . . . at first. Two days later, when I tried to open these links in the address bar of my browser, the link URL came up but didn't activate. When I tried to open a bogus tinyurl.com link, I correctly got a message back form tinyurl.com's server that that link wasn't viable.  But I didn't get that message with the links I had created. I got nothing back. The link simply hung in the address bar and no action took place.

So I had assumed maybe the code in my company's site wasn't somehow compatible with tinyurl.com compressed links but didn't think that would be the case because the link worked for two days then stopped. I assume it had something to do with my company's server no longer accessing that URL.  The video works from their global site but not from extracted tinyurl.com URL's.

So I then tried the same process with bit.ly. and the exact same thing had happened--the link worked for a day and then stopped and hung when I had placed that link in my browser's address bar and clicked on it.

Aside from this company making a horrendous business decision by making it impossible for potential customers to view videos, I can't fathom why the tiny url and bit.ly links stop activating after a day or two yet the same embedded code is shown for these videos on the company's site and that opens the videos.

If I can extract the URL's, why can't I run them from compressed site links if the URl's from the company's site show the same embedded URL's?  Is there a workaround? I'm at a complete loss.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:07 PM

Hi.

I assume this:

a. A Tiny URL and others are unable to view / connect with your URLs on videos of your company because of, probably:
sub-a. your company denied after several day the sare with those sites, by simply phoneing them.

sub-b. your company has a storage manager, who watches all this.
sub-c. the Tuny URL service lost a queue or pin to those links / outdated / lost their sertificates.

b. all the media transfers, now-a-days, come across some kind of "base" hangs - these are asked by firms and be putted off / or simply outdated.

c. or there's a sertificate problem.

...otherwise, there's something secure, not to be shown afterwards, your company desided.

Hope that helps you out on firguring the reason of such URL put-offs. :)

P.S. FBI can delete this post at anytime, if I'm guessing / helping to guess on something sensitive.

#3 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:33 AM

Sub-a I'm not sure what you mean by the "sare wtih those sites. I'm not sure what "sare" is unless it's a typo. Do you mean phoning them or phoneying them? In either case, this site never had this problem before but was recently updated and I'm wondering if by doing so, the old links were bronken.

Sub-b--as above, this has never happened before as all the tinyurl links that were made worked up until about a week ago. I don't see an overseer involved.

sub-these are new tinyurls. Some were created 3 days prior to my message so they weren't outdated nor lost certificates

There is nothing sensitive here. these video links work from the the parent site with the same embedded code that I had made the tiny url's with.  It was only two days later that the code didn't link. I know my company is hiring an in-house staff to create new websites so it's possible that things that worked before no longer link because of upgrades.

I'm going to try to create those tinyurl links in a couple of days, assuming that if there was an upgrade, the old links that the tinyurls were based upon may no longer work but if the new site links work from the site itself, that's probably not going to fix this because both the tinyurl I used from the embedded code and the same code driven off the company site are the same.  I can't see why one would work and the other doesn't if the same exact url is being used. The tinyurl is using that code but it is working under the tinyurl code.  I'm simply baffled by this.

#4 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:58 PM

It just happened again. I figured that after 3 days, maybe their updated site created new links and broke the old ones so I created another tinyurl for the embedded code in that link--the same code that works from the parent site--and, once again, after 24 hours, the link no longer works. It posts and doesn't go back to tinyurl.com as an error but simply hangs on the address bar.

Now what I can't fathom is why the same embedded text works from the parent site and not from a tinyurl link. I have never seen this before. I suspect there may be some mechanism set up on their server that hunts down any links that connect to the embedded link and disengages them but this is beyond me. 

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:27 PM

Better to just use the long URLs, as a general rule tinyurl links can't be considered trustworthy so users visiting your site will see a tinyurl link and think "that could go ANYWHERE, i don't think i'll click it" whilst the full link would give them more indications where the link is going so would be more trustworthy. It's not like people need to remember the URLs, they just have to click them so making them short isn't really necessary, leave them in their full form and they should be reliable (and people will trust them more as they can see where the links go).
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:02 PM

The problem is that the embedded link is over 200 characters long and the reason I used tinyurls is because I can give them to prospects who would never copy a 200 character link.

The strange thing is that the 200 character link has the same embedded url that is used in the tinyrul but while it works from the company site, it doesn't work from the tinyurl link and they have the same embedded code. What I can't fathom is why the same url will work from the parent site but not from the tinyurl. Further, the tiny url works for about 24 hours then the link hangs. I have no clue why.

Edited by godzilla1347, 12 February 2015 - 03:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users