Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot devic

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cinderelly

cinderelly

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:05 PM

Hey guys,

just reformatted my PC with Windows XP x64 bit edition,

After putting in my Mobo CD and installing the necessary drivers,

I restarted and got this message:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

I looked around the internet for a bit, and most said to change the boot sequence in the BIOS to the primary drive,

it was already set to the primary drive, so I disabled the 2nd and 3rd boot choices.

But low and behold, I still got the message.

Although, a couple times, I was able to get to Windows.

Then when I restart, I get the message again.

So I'm not really sure what to do.

Thanks to anyone who would like to help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:58 AM

First...system manufacturer and model?

Just guessing...but I would disconnect the hard drive and reconnect it...then see if the BIOS properly recognizes the hard drive.  If it does, then I would try to boot.

I would also enable all boot options in the BIOS...and try to boot from an option other than the hard drive, if you have a bootable XP CD, bootable USB, etc.  Save all changes made by hitting F10.

If the system can boot from an alternate option but not from the HD...it's probably a hard drive situation.

If the BIOS doesn't cannot retain the changed settings or you start getting other hardware errors...my guess would be CMOS battery needs replacement.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 February 2015 - 09:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users