Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung Smart TV Spying On You

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:47 PM

If you have a Samsung Smart TV with voice recognition in your lounge room, it might be worth making sure the feature's deactivated and a piece of tape is over the microphone before you make any private or sensitive statements.

The South Korean technology giant has told users of the voice recognition feature that anything heard by the television may be whisked away by the company over the internet and sent to a third party.

The company's privacy policy states: "Samsung may collect and your device may capture voice commands and associated texts so that we can provide you with voice recognition features and evaluate and improve the features".

It adds the warning that "if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party".

If you disable voice recognition the television will still listen out for key command phrases, and "Samsung may still collect associated texts and other usage data so that we can evaluate the performance of the feature and improve it".

You can disable data collection entirely through the settings menu, which will also disable all voice command capabilities.

Privacy campaigners have branded the policy "outrageous" and made comparisons to George Orwell's description of telescreens, which spied on citizens in his novel 1984.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/consumer-security/samsung-smart-tvs-will-listen-to-capture-and-transmit-your-private-conversations-company-warns-20150209-13a84o.html

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:57 PM

Voice recognition is notoriuosly unreliable anyway, so when you consider the privacy aspects (which are not surprising once you think about them, a voice recognition based "ON" button needs to be constantly listening) it's shocking anyone wuld want to use such systems. This finding is very much is like those screens in the novel 1984 and very concerning because of this, but the real moral of the story is that there is ALMOST no place in our world for voice recognition devices. Another thing to consider is if you do own a device which you are concerned might be listening to you, then conduct private conversations using a pen and paper which you burn/soak in water afterwards, unless televisions start building in cameras which are always on and for some reason placed ON THE CEILING above your table and sofa then they won't be reading such notes.

Edited by rp88, 10 February 2015 - 04:58 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:14 PM

dude, do you not watch CSI and NCIS, they can so track you by your voice lol.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:11 AM

More Samsung news:

Samsung Smart TVs forcing ads into video streaming apps
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:04 PM

I caught my TV ordering pizza and pasta for it and the refrigerator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users