Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

boot device not found

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Usherw

Usherw

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:19 PM

I am trying to install Windows 7 Pro on a number of Dell Optiplex 980 machines. I put in the windows disc in to the drive, restart the machine then I get the following message on the screen. "boot device not found" press F1 to reboot, F2 for setup, F5 for on board diagnostic. I am not sure what to do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:42 AM

If the drives have been formatted ? ensure they have been Initilized , you can slave them to any other working Pc to do so.

Then reinstall drive in original Pc , enter Bios and select Boot Sequence and select CDROM as first Boot  and save and Exit.

Load Win 7 Disc in Cdrom and reboot , hit any key when prompted to Boot from Cdrom.

If still fails ? check Cabling to drives .

#3 Usherw

Usherw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:48 PM

I have tried all of the above Suggestions. is there any thing more I can try?

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:29 AM

I have tried all of the above Suggestions. is there any thing more I can try?

You could try another Hard Drive in that computer , or try the Hard drive in another PC.

Check in Bios if drive is detected.

Otherwise refer to Mobo Manual and cabling structure also if req any drivers to be loaded pre install.

You stated several PCs purchased in original Post - do they all give the same error "boot device not found" ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users