Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot remove theme program causing extreme slowdown.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AnNguyen95

AnNguyen95

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:04 PM

Every time I try to boot up my computer, it shows the Lenovo logo, then the Win8 logo, and then it fades to a black screen that doesn't show anything. After a long time it finally boots to desktop, but is extremely slow.

My laptop was working fine earlier today. Everything was working very smoothly. This is the breakdown of events since.

1) Downloaded and installed third party Win8 theme software UxTheme Patcher.
2) Downloaded and installed a theme from here : http://ezio.deviantart.com/art/Abisso-2014-dark-theme-Windows-8-1-Update1-Upd11-418540806
3) I rebooted my laptop after installation
4) Bootup was very slow, took around 5 minutes to get to desktop. At that point my computer could not load anything without freezing. I had to leave and so I shut the lid on my laptop and went home.
5) Tried to boot laptop, and went to black screen after Win8 logo for a REALLY long time. It boots to desktop after, but extremely slow.
6) Trying to start applications or even opening explorer causes it to freeze.

Upon closer inspection of the file I downloaded, I did NOT follow the instructions correctly (screw me right?), and I'm 99% sure it is the reason why my laptop is being like this.
---------------

The biggest problem I'm having is trying to remove this application from my laptop. I DO have a recovery USB and Disk, but both are unable to boot to safe mode. I have also tried refreshing my system, but apparently my drive is locked, and it also won't allow me to reset my system as it says that I have a partition missing.

I do not have access to another machine, so I cannot pop my drive into something else and manually remove it either. Is there anything I can do to fix my laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:30 AM

Well, you may need to do the factory reset.

#3 AnNguyen95

AnNguyen95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:08 AM

Update: I left my laptop on overnight, and when I woke up, it was working normally.  I'm too scared to restart it to see what happens, but I suspect I will still run into the same problems.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:45 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

If you are having trouble uninstalling this theme you could try the Revo Uninstaller which you can get as a free download from BC -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/

This little application is capable of uninstalling / removing most things particularly stuff that doesn't want to uninstall using 'Control panel' or doesn't have a built-in uninstaller.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users