Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

some sites blocked; wireless locked off

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spats

spats

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

New (1 month) Dell Inspiron 5748, i7 64, 8GB, Win 8.1

I’d had a problem with Chrome because I installed too fast and let a crapware toolbar through, but I removed it. The address bar continued to be extremely slow—I’d type a whole URL and then wait for it to echo to see if I had any typos—but it worked, for the past month or so. 

Today I found that I lost my network connection when I unplugged my cable. This was not a problem previously. No new installs. After poking around, I found that Airplane mode is on, and the control is disabled—I can’t turn it off. While searching for solutions, I found that several web sites don’t load—as if there is no connection—(dell, bleepingcptr, xkcd) while others (google, fb) continue to work. I can ping some of them from command but not all.

I uninstalled & reinstalled Chrome (though I had the site problem in IE, too), and the address bar now responds normally. But I still can’t use either browser for most sites. I’m sending this from my Mac, which is on the same network.

MacAfee assures me all is well.

Am I infected, or is this a lemon?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spats

spats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:35 AM

Both adapters, both IP4 & 6 are set to obtain DNS automatically.

#3 spats

spats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:02 AM

Airplane mode issue resolved, or worked around. (keypad allows airplane toggle, after which screen allows me to turn wifi back on).

So maybe they're not related. Selective site issue persists. Some sites I could access yesterday no longer available.

#4 spats

spats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:44 AM

Outlook synchs fine; Skype intermittent.

#5 spats

spats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:56 PM

It's http. Https works; http does not.

#6 spats

spats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:10 PM

But I still have no idea how to fix it.

#7 spats

spats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

Malware identified: Problem solved by uninstalling MacAfee. 

Not sure why I didn't get any feedback on this, but that seems to be a lesson worth sharing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users