Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Power

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 slug01

slug01

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:37 PM

My girlfriends computer will not turn on. it was off for about 6 months before i pluged it all back in. and it would not turn on as if it had no power. so i thought it was the power supply. so i got a new one. it had a 250 watt power supply and i put in a 350 watt power supply. it did turn on for about 2-5 min then it shut off and would not turn back on again just like before. is there somthing i can do before i take the power supply back and get a new one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 VB4

VB4

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:52 PM

Do you hear any beeps when you turn it on, if so then that may mean that the memory is bad, but not always. Second, try taking the modem out if it has one, modems sometimes make the computer not turn on, not sure why, but it does happen. Let me know about those things, I have other ideas after that.

For fast computer answers, visit SparkCore. A brand new computer forum with dedicated members, who will get you the answers you need to solve all your computer problems.

#3 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:33 AM

My girlfriends computer will not turn on. it was off for about 6 months before i pluged it all back in. and it would not turn on as if it had no power. so i thought it was the power supply. so i got a new one. it had a 250 watt power supply and i put in a 350 watt power supply. it did turn on for about 2-5 min then it shut off and would not turn back on again just like before. is there somthing i can do before i take the power supply back and get a new one.

The PSU connector, is it a 20, 24, or 20+4 connector? was it loose? Also, is it possible that in the 6 months of not using the computer *Blasphemy*,that ESD (Electro Static Discharge) Got in there?

Was the computer dusty when you opened it to put the new PSU in there? Are all of the ATA tapes (The gray tapes connecting the Hard drive, floppy drive, DVD drive, etc) All connected to the MOBO Securly?

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:26 PM

When you installed the 350 watt power supply and it ran for 5 minutes did it boot to windows ?

What make and model of computer is this ?

Edited by pascor22234, 26 June 2006 - 01:27 PM.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:13 PM

Hey what about the simplest thing in the computer? It is the CMOS battery, if the computer sat for 6 months and the battery probably went dead as a door nail. No battery power nothing in the CMOS and no boot up.

#6 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:37 PM

Hey what about the simplest thing in the computer? It is the CMOS battery, if the computer sat for 6 months and the battery probably went dead as a door nail. No battery power nothing in the CMOS and no boot up.

Duh, I didnt even think about that.. -smacks head-

Here I come with a bombardment of questions...

#7 Sandra1960

Sandra1960

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:06 PM

I had that problem with my pc back in march----couldn't get it to turn on, my motherboard was bad and had to have it replaced.

#8 slug01

slug01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:43 PM

I have to thank everyone :thumbsup: i ended up getting a new power supply and i did change out my cmos battery. everything is fine now. i dont know if i ended up frying the other power supply or if it was just factory bad. thanks everyone again.

#9 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:55 PM

It was most likely a DOA. There's no way a motherboard can get a power supply to go bad, only the other way around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users