Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"No boot disk has been detected...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RiverMiss

RiverMiss

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:33 PM

Hello,

On 1-5-2015 my computer was on but unattended and when I returned to it I had a black screen with the following message:

"No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed."

I was downloading in iTunes and came to check on it today and had the same message.

This is an HP Windows 8 computer.  It is a Seagate 1T hard drive.

I just realized that this is the first computer that I do not have much information on.  Can you help me find how to get the manual on this computer.  I have always gotten them in the past.

I will appreciate any assistance with this problem.  Thank you.

RiverMiss

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:12 PM

Have you gone to the HP site and looked for the information about your model there?

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

The Seagate tools for checking hard drives are excellent. If there's a problem it will usually find it.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 RiverMiss

RiverMiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:14 AM

Hi Dick,

I must say that I am disappointed in the HP website. I had to make my own document to print the information for the motherboard.

To get specific now that I am armed with all my information:

This is an AMD A10-5700 APU

integrated Radeon HD Graphics 3.4 GHz

12 G RAM

64-bit OS X64 based processor

I looked in device manager that lists the hard drive as ST2000DL003-9VT166 so I am assuming this is a 2T Seagate hard drive.

I downloaded the Seagate tools but have not run them yet.

Thank you.

RiverMiss

#4 RiverMiss

RiverMiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:44 PM

I ran the SeaTools Short Drive Self Test. It ran for over 3 hours - nothing short about that - it was 90% done and then locked the computer up. I had to power it off. The mouse was still available but that was all. Could not get to Task Manager or anything else. I am getting frustrated now. Any ideas will be appreciated.  Thanks.

RiverMiss

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:08 PM

I would surmise that your hard drive has failed, especially if the Short Test failed to complete. Is the computer still in warranty? Do you have data on the drive you are trying to retrieve?

#6 RiverMiss

RiverMiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:26 PM

Well, you can't really say it has failed but it probably is going to fail because it is still booting and running this computer. What kind of data on the drive? This computer is 1 3/4 years old but only had a one year warranty. I don't know if Seagate warranty's a drive in a box. I am assuming that they do not unless I bought it separately. It is the C - main drive in the computer that I am currently on. 2T Seagate.

RiverMiss

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:30 PM

Windows 8 DVD should have a Start Repair function, that might get you past the no boot disk found.  Once you get in, you might consider backing up all your created data, pics, etc.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 RiverMiss

RiverMiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:01 PM

The computer is up and booted and running!!!!  I am using it right now.  OEM computers do not come with Windows 8 DVD's. I have backed up all my data files except for some huge .mov files. Thanks.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:06 PM

Download and run Gsmartcontrol. Run the short test and post the log. Check the attributes tab and look for any rows marked in red.

info_failing.png

#10 RiverMiss

RiverMiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:56 AM

Does anyone know if Windows 8 has a size or count limit to a directory.  The problem happens when I download .mov files using iTunes.  There are 5400 large .MOV files in the directory that is having a problem. 

I have not seen nor used this Gsmartcontrol program.  Is it good and safe?  I had some critical projects to complete before I can really fix this computer since it is currently running.  One big project down and 2 to go.

Thanks.

RiverMiss

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

You are nowhere near the maximum number of files in a folder (4,294,967,295) but at a certain amount performance degrades. I think 5400 may be too much.  It's possible your AV software is scanning the directory when you copy a file to it. Gsmartcontrol is safe but finish your projects first. I would backup any mission critical data to a external drive or cloud though.

#12 RiverMiss

RiverMiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:30 AM

Thank you.  I have a 3T USB 3.0 drive attached for data and also a 2T NAS drive on the network for data sharing and backup.  I also keep the most critical data on a flashdrive so I don't have to worry.  Yes, the AVG, or even cache could be causing a problem when downloading to this drive.

Thanks.

RiverMiss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users