Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Pro install on Dell Precision 690

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BigElCat

BigElCat

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:20 PM

I recently purchased a Dell Precision 690 Work Station.  Here are the specs:

2 Xeon quad core CPUs running at 2.66 Mhz.

8gb of RAM, two sticks of 4 gig.

4 1TB HDDs, 7200 rpm.

Dell RAID controller card.

It came with Oracle Linux installed as the OS.  I purchased Windows 7 Pro (DVD) and have the new COA to go with it.

Do I need to initialize the hard drives prior to the install?

Will I need to specify which RAID configuration I want to use during the install?

If I add a SSD (it will accept a fifth drive) later, will I be able to put the OS on the SSD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:07 PM

[at the edge of my comfort / knowledge zone]

I would be sure to reformat all of the drives before putting them into service

The RAID configuration must be in place before you start installing the OS and programs

When you add a SSD you may have to start from scratch if you want to reconfigure things.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 BigElCat

BigElCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for the reply.

It looks like I will need to take out the Linux partitions, and I should probably update the BIOS as well.  I guess I need a boot disk with the fdisk utility to do this.  The 690 has a floppy drive in addition to a dvd drive.

Should I get the utilities/boot disk on floppy?  I would need MS-DOS 5.0 or higher.  I can get version 6.0 on floppy with fdisk.  This would allow me to take out the Linux partitions.  I could update the BIOS after this, couldn't I? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users