Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Healthy" drive is invisible to Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ok computer

ok computer

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:50 PM

I have a Seagate Barracua LP 2TB HDD. This was originally housed in an IOMEGA external USB enclosure belonging to my son. When it failed (don't know how or why) he asked me to work on it. The problem was almost definitely the PCB and I used a mail in service to transfer the original firmware to a new PCB which I recently installed. That seems to have worked: The disk now sounds as though it is operating and it appears in Device Manager and Disk Manager, which identifies all three original partitions and labels it a “healthy disk”. I can NOT, however, see it in Windows Explorer, so I can’t access the files. Seagate's "Disc Wizard" offers no help either. It appears to be intended primarily for error checking or new disk installation.

Note that I have tried it in the IOMEGA USB enclosure as well as installing it directly in my computer with the SATA power & data cables. I get the same results. Disk Manager will not allow me to assign a drive letter. Most of the solutions I find online recommend re-partitioning it. That would probably work, but it would "delete" the data that is on here, and my main goal is to retrieve that data. Is the easiest solution to simple repartition and then use a utility like “Recuva” to access the data?

Any advice…?

HDD:

"Barracuda LP" 2TB
model ST32000542AS.
Part number 9TN158-510

SYSTEM:

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 055 processor @ 3.20 GHz

Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)

4 GB RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

I would not try to partition it until all other options are tried.

What is listed on each partition of the drive. Can you provide a screen shot?

If you have a bootable linux live disk you can use that and hopefully mount the drive. It may see the files where windows failed. I usually recommend Puppy linux for this. You can download the iso file and burn it in Windows 7 by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot to the Puppy Desktop. Your computer hard drive would be sda. sda1...sda2..sda3.. would be partitions on the sda drive.  A USB external drive would be sdb1...sdb2...sdb3 if it had three partitions.  Clicking once on the partition you are trying to recover data on would mount it and open the File Manager. Click once on your internal drive (sda1) and another File Manager Window will open. You can select files/folders by left clicking with the Ctrl key or left clicking and dragging a windows around the files folders. Drag the files over to the internal File Manager Window. A small dialog box will open asking if you want to copy or move. Select copy and check the quiet box. Your files/folders will be copied. If you do not want to try Puppy see if Partition Find and Mount works.

Partition Find and Mount. This will mount the partition as a virtual drive which will allow you to copy over any files in the partition to your computer. I would use the Intelligent Scan first. If that does not work use the Normal Scan. If Normal Scan does not work do not do a thorough scan but use Testdisk.

Download Testdisk for Windows v6.14. Unzip it to a folder on your desktop and double click the Testdisk.exe file. Do a Quick Search. Does it detect the partitions? If it does, Highlight one of the partitions and press upper case "P". Does it list the files of the partition? Follow the steps here. Do not write anything as outlined in the guide. The priority is to copy over the files. Select any files you want by clicking the ":" key or use the lower case "a" to select all files of the partition. Press upper case "C" to copy the files. The default location of recovered files is the folder you unzipped Testdisk to.

#3 ok computer

ok computer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

Thank you for some very clear and specific solutions.  When I return home in a couple of hours I'll post that screenshot, and I'll probably try the "Puppy Linux" boot disk.  I'll post my results. 

#4 ok computer

ok computer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:13 PM

My internet has been out for a day, so no solution yet, since I can't download anything, or upload a screen shot.  Should be up by the time I get home again.  I'm currently at work.

#5 ok computer

ok computer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:14 PM

I came to report my results from running Testdisk for Windows but when I take a screen shot and paste it here, I get the following error when I try to post:  "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community".  Can anyone explain that to me? 

I apologize for my lack of savvy.  I've been a member for a long time but I don't believe I've actually posted a topic before.  I also don't see an option for uploading a picture file from my computer.  Am I missing something?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A second attempt using the "paste" icon in the toolbar resulted in this:  "You do not have permission for that action."

Edited by ok computer, 11 February 2015 - 03:47 PM.

#6 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:25 PM

you can host an image at another site, and embed the image in your post.

I can do that with drop box, which you can set up on your machine for free.

If you use drop box, change the url of the image as follows- replace the 'www' at beginning of url, with 'dl'

Edited by yu gnomi, 11 February 2015 - 03:28 PM.

#7 ok computer

ok computer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for the advice.  Is online image hosting the only option?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I ran Testdisk for Windows it did appear to find the partitions...

Untitled1.jpg?dl=0

...and "quick search" resulted in the following:

Untitled2.jpg?dl=0

If I click "P" on the first green partition there I get this, which seems promising, but searching around in these directories I don't see anything that looks like my son's personal files (he was primarily hoping to recover some photos that he says were stored here):

Untitled3.jpg?dl=0

If I click "P" on that second green partition I get this, which is much less promising

Untitled4.jpg?dl=0

The "Linux" designation makes me think I should try the Linux boot disk suggested in a comment above.  That would have to wait until I get home, as I am doing all this remotely from work (using Teamviewer).

Anyone have further advice? 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

I am not sure why you could not upload the image unless is was over 224KB which I doubt. I do not have any experience with RAID and I would have thought the external drive would have a Windows file system. I would recommend you try posting a question on the Testdisk forum. The developers are good at replying. Testdisk has a DeepSearch but I am not sure if that would find anything else.

One other option that would scan the whole drive and look to recover files is Easeus Data Recovery. It lets you recover 1GB for free. After that you need to purchase a key. Another is R-linux Recovery. It is free. Edit: These should recover files from a damaged file system but the file may or may not be corrupted.

In the image you posted I would look in the home directoriy if you have not done so. You might find that Puppy linux will mount those partitions. I would try that as  you suggested.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 February 2015 - 04:23 PM.

#9 ok computer

ok computer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:17 PM

In the end, JohnC_21 supplied the successful solution in his first post up there.  I booted to the Puppy LInux boot-disk and used the utilities therein to access the "bad" disk. I've never really worked with Linux so it took some learning my way around, but in the end the mounting utility there identified and mounted all three partitions and allowed me to read the files on the disk with the file manager there. It was surprisingly easy once I figured out what I was doing.

I pretty much clicked-and-dragged all the content from the "bad" disk to another USB disk I use for storage. Then I rebooted in Windows 7 and had access to all the rescued files on the storage disk.

Thanks so much for all for the suggestions.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:33 PM

Your Welcome,

I am glad you were able to recover your important files. Thanks for the update. Puppy linux is my go-to OS when Windows cannot access a partition or does not boot.  And it's only about 140MB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users