Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are there tests to run to see how well your computer is doing in terms of speed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 Smorton1951

Smorton1951

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:21 PM

Greetings,

Are there some type of tests that can be ran by a beginner to test how fast the CPU of one's computer is running/performing?  Any other  suggestions of tests of system hardware, computer health would be appreciated also.

I recognize this may be somewhat of a broad question.

Thank you.

Smorton

Edited by hamluis, 10 February 2015 - 06:34 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

There is a "Performance Monitor" application built into Windows, that you can access through Administrative tools in the Control Panel. This can generate all sorts of reports and diagnostics on almost every part of your machine. It is a very powerful tool once you understand how to use it.

Some google results for tutorials here.

#3 Smorton1951

Smorton1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:59 AM

I was thinking more of benchmark tests.  Am I way off base here.  I thought it would be helpful to have be benchmark scores of my CPU, etc. from time to time.

Please forgive me if these are crazy questions.

Thanks

SM

#4 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:49 AM

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sisoftware_sandra_lite.html

Here's one.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:40 AM

Apparently, the Geekbench benchmark test is pretty accurate and also extensive, so you'll know how your CPU ranks.

http://www.primatelabs.com/geekbench/

This is mostly something I would had asked in the Hardware section however.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Smorton1951

Smorton1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:21 PM

Thank you.  Sorry about the miss posting.

SM

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:02 PM

No problem :) And all good, maybe a Moderator can move that thread in the right section so you'll get more helpful answers.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:42 PM

Here one brilliant software product, made by Ashampoo GmbH (Germany), it's called Ashampoo WinOptimizer 11 and it costs $39,99 without promotions (that are not rare at Ashampoo):
https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/4506/system-software/Ashampoo-WinOptimizer-11

.....it contains all, completely all you'll ever need. These are include Diagnostics, HDD Defragmentations, Partitions Cleaning and Checking for Errors, Benchmarking, Uninstallations, Shortcut Fixing and more.

You also can visit www.bing.com or www.google.com and search for "Ashampoo WinOptimizer 2015" that is of freeware. They are also offer "Ashampoo Burning Studio 2015" - that is a top-notch and complete burning suite, that can fairly compare or even win next to Nero or Daemon Tools.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE WHOLE SITE! TAKE YOUR TIME!

Edited by rhino1366, 11 February 2015 - 05:42 PM.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:52 PM

These kind of software are close to pure scam. They are completely useless and can even be dangerous to use. They aren't worth your money and I strongly advice you to stay away from such programs. Everything they offer, you can do it by yourself, in a safe and easy way.

unite_blue.png

#10 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:47 PM

I disagree with that point.

Ashampoo GmbH is a totally not scam. It's a software made by Germany, very reliable and safe.

...it is, indeed, much more safer than a System Mechanic or CureIt or anything alike.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:48 PM

It is still a useless piece of software that you don't need and that won't improve your system performance at all since everything it does, you can easily do it by yourself. I would invest that $40 in a good Antivirus program, and not in an useless one like a "PC Optimizer".

unite_blue.png

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:08 PM

In response to the WinOptimizer product:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.And Microsoft's opinion on the need for registry maintenance: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/are-registry-cleaners-necessary#1TC=windows-7

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:40 PM

Many computers having run that type of crapware/scamware are now used as boat anchors and door stops.

Please stick around after posting. Helpers are never far. Don't disappear for a week!
Our help is free, so please have the courtesy to reply in a timely manner. Thank you!

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:41 PM

Or as Linux boxes :wink:

#15 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:03 AM

hah. you sain' that registry cleaners will spoil - probably, might be and might be not... about 86% might be not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users