Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows live mail keeps disappearing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gweedow

gweedow

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:19 PM

Hello all,

Strange problem for me at least.  I have windows 8.1 and for email app. I have Windows live mail. About a week ago and just Yesterday 2/8/15, When I turned on my computer (HP laptop) and then I went into my email account, all the inbox messages I had disappeared and all the sent messages I left in the sent folder had gone. And I had made a saved folder in the column, and that had disappeared. Now I had to dig far into my windows c: folder and found in my user folder and dug deeper and found in a folder a couple folder that had my disappeared messages. I've been putting them back little by little mostly the saved folder. It is slow because i don't know how to put them all in at once.

But the real question is, what is causing my messages to disappear every once in a while??? My laptop is 3 months old, and this just started to happen. Every day I turn on the computer I hope it dose not happen again. I'm starting to save my important messages in a document file. I have McAfee live safe anti virus. Please any one or anything. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:45 AM

Live mail will sync delete e-mail it pulls down. I'll use Gmail as an example. While logged into Gmail, under settings, POP/IMAP settings. There is options there that reads: "When messages are accessed with POP" Delete Gmail's copy. Other E-mail services like Gmail may be a similar setup.

As far as locally deleted e-mail I am not sure why. It could be scheduled, it could be due to corruption, it could be due to a system rollback. You may be able to restore them by right clicking the file location and choosing properties and then choose 'previous versions' tab. This restores it from Volume Shadow Copy, which is part of the system restore feature. By default it is on upon installing windows. I also suggest making a system backup image to an external device, or seperate internal HD. Upon failure or something of this nature you can recover data.

Another way to restore profiles is through your Security Software suite. Since you have Mcafee you can go to the Data Protection section and then backup/restore tabs and restore files from there. This is similar in other Virus suites Norton, Comodo, etc..It will keep a encrypted copy of your user profiles. The security suites will typically create a copy of your profiles and store them in a folder located under C:\  As an example for Norton: C:\N360_Backup

If you use shadow copy method you need to restore it from the Microsoft folder and right-click the Windows Live Mail. The location of Live Mail on your system is inside your user profile. C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail.

Hope that helps you out..

Edited by technonymous, 10 February 2015 - 06:46 AM.

#3 gweedow

gweedow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:05 AM

Hey,, thanks much. Thank you all for the good advise. I did get all that I wanted of my emails back, from going into my users account. But I was woundering so much when that would happen again, that after saving what I wanted, I uninstalled windows live safe mail and Installed firefox thunderbird. I don't know if that was a smart Idea or what, Hah. :-). I'll just use you guys advise. Definitely will save to an external devise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users