Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Digital River iso downloads - gone for good?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

It looks like the Digital River iso downloads of Windows 7 are done. A person now has to enter a key on this page to get the iso. I have not confirmed yet if an OEM Windows 7 key will work. Maybe Microsoft will reinstate those links but I doubt it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

Looks like they are gone. sari and Toffee informed me about it yesterday, apparently, a lot of people (including MVPs) aren't happy with that decision, but there's nothing that can be done. I have the Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bits .iso on my computer, which is one of the most popular, and I can access all the others be entering the product keys I have and also use my e5.onthehub (DreamSpark) account, but I think that uploading them and distributing them would be illegal. This is kind of stupid too. What if the person needs a recovery DVD to access the Recovery PE, but lost his product key on the sticker. The only way would be to grab it from Windows itself, but it wouldn't be bootable. Hopefully they'll make these .iso available to the public again.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 jman242

jman242

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

I was trying to download a copy for myself the other day. I have OEM and get the following message.

Unsupported Product

The product key you entered appears to be for software that was pre-installed on a device.  Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

It is a sad day.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

Where did you grab the key? On a sticker on the laptop/computer, or directly from Windows?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

It looks like OEM keys are not accepted. I used a Windows 7 OEM key from a disk supplied by HP when you were able to get Windows 7 for free when purchasing Vista at it's end of life. Same message as jman242. Very bad news.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:11 PM

So you really have to enter retail product keys (product keys that comes with preinstalled Windows 7 on laptops and computers) and not OEM copies. That makes things a bit harder...

unite_blue.png

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:15 PM

I guess any key that gives a PID of OEM is rejected.  Right click computer > Properties  Bottom of Window. If there is an OEM in the ID, then you are out of luck.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:41 PM

Ok, I just called Microsoft and was told that the only people who can download this ISO file have to have a retail copy.

This means that a very high percentage of our users will not be able to create a installation disc since they are using OEM machines.  This means that one of our best tool, the Windows 7 Repair Installation can only be used if the owner has the installation disc or this is a retail version. 

I will shut up now, I have nothing nice to say about Micro$oft at this time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:45 PM

This is stupid, how are we supposed to assist them now? I guess that we should advise all the users to create a Recovery partition or DVD right now so they can use it for troubleshooting measures. But for all the users that'll come on BleepingComputer without having that ready will most likely have to "pay" for a such recovery device.

unite_blue.png

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:59 PM

Probably the same problem downloading Windows 8.1 media. I don't understand Microsoft's reasoning behind this. This would just make people download Windows 7 iso's from shady sites causing even more issues.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:01 PM

Are we even allowed to offer assistance to people downloading/using such .iso? If they aren't from an official source, I guess they fall under the "pirated", "warez" rule which states that these aren't allowed here, so we couldn't help them with their issues.

unite_blue.png

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

Microsoft is trying to "protect" their products from pirating.  And the upshot of members downloading from shady sites will result in us seeing a increase of member seeking help with infected machines.

I suspect what we will see if a lot of people using the System Recovery partition to reinstall Windows.  If we are going to start a campaign, I would suggest that it be that members back up their important files on removable media and create the recovery disk suggested by the manufacturers.   

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:04 PM

If they aren't from an official source, I guess they fall under the "pirated", "warez" rule which states that these aren't allowed here, so we couldn't help them with their issues.

In the Malware Removal the emphasis is on removing the malware in order to stop the spread of it.

Edited by dc3, 09 February 2015 - 03:05 PM.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:06 PM

I agree with that. The members/users here have to know that now, without a proper back-up solution or a recovery media, we won't be able to assist them much if they get stuck in a situation where their system isn't bootable (BSODs, Missing BOOTMGR, etc.).

unite_blue.png

#15 Unique Obsession

Unique Obsession

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:19 PM

Was only a matter of time before the Digitalriver links were removed, fair enough there are many that got windows 7 preinstall on pcs.

But the links were also abused with Oem licence keys, so more than likely the bandwidth alone was good enough reason to kill the links,

and add the check Cd key feature.

Edited by Unique Obsession, 09 February 2015 - 03:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users