Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer portal

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff0253

Jeff0253

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:46 PM

Hi All--

The cursor has disappeared from my kid's acer laptop.  When I tried doing task manager, I got an error message saying "Acer Portal Crashed." Any help?  If this is not the right section of the forum to ask, let me know and I will repost my query.

Thanks,

Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:46 PM

Hi Jeff :)

If you restart the laptop, is the cursor coming back? Also, Acer Portal is an Acer OEM software that comes with their prebuilt laptops and desktops, it's not needed to have it installed on your system. You can uninstall it normally if you want, it won't affect anything.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Jeff0253

Jeff0253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

Hi Aura--

We tried a hard shutdown and restart--the cursor didn't come back.  I'll try it again though and come back to report.  Once I get the cursor back, I will uninstall Acer Portal as you suggest.

Thanks so much for helping! :-)

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,586 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

How do you navigate around without a cursor now?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Jeff0253

Jeff0253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:19 PM

Well, I was navigating with the tab key, the arrows, and the enter key.  I got it to do a shutdown and restart, and it stopped to do a rather lengthy windows update.  Still no cursor when I was all signed in and back to the desktop.  However, I tried hooking a regular USB mouse up and voila!  There was the cursor.  But when I unplug the mouse, the cursor disappears again.  Weird, huh?

Anyway, we can now navigate--if you have any advice on how to bring back the cursor when we're only using the touchpad, that would be great.

Thanks again,

Jeff

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,586 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:24 PM

If you boot in Safe Mode (with Networking or without, doesn't matter), does the cursor shows up?

unite_blue.png

#7 Jeff0253

Jeff0253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

Uh-oh, we've reached the limit of my very limited computer skills.  How do I boot in safe mode?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,586 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:30 PM

Here's instructions on how to boot in Safe Mode under Windows 8/8.1:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/#windows8

unite_blue.png

#9 Jeff0253

Jeff0253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:38 PM

Ok, I have to go out for a couple of hours.  But I will try it asap when I get back and report back here.  Thanks again Aura!

Edited by Jeff0253, 09 February 2015 - 02:38 PM.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,586 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:18 PM

No problem Jeff, keep me updated :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users