Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gbono2

gbono2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:17 PM

I have a new external hard. It fires up ok. My computer's Windows XP recognizes it as new hardware and classifies it as a usb storage device. When i go My Computer, there is no drive E to identify the external hd. What must I need to do? I don't know how to get to the ext. hd to move/store programs or files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:32 PM

Go to the Windows explorer and scroll down to the Control Panel. Clcik the + next to it and select 'Administrative Tools'. In the Admin Tools window, select Computer Management. When it opens the Computer management dialogue box, go down to Storage>Disk Management on the left. Then on the right, you should be able to see your new external HDD. Right click on it and select New Partition, then just follow the prompts - if it asks anything you are not sure about, leave it at the default value. The minimum you should change is the name (eg. call it Backup or Working etc).

Hope that was what you were after... :thumbsup:

Let us know how you go!
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users