Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to choose which drive runs windows?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stanner21

stanner21

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:56 AM

I installed a new internal SSD in my computer.  I'd like to retain the old hard drive for storage.  I was able to copy everything off of my old hard drive onto the new one.  The computer is default booting up and running the windows on my old drive.  How do I get it to switch to using the new drive for booting and running windows?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

msconfig, one of the options there is to choose which Windows you want to designate as default.  Before you choose, carefully determine which option points to which drive.  When I cloned my older HD onto the new HD, my clone's OS was listed above my original/older HD's OS.  I highlighted my original OS, clicked make default.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:09 PM

You need to go to the UEFI Utility of your PC and change the Boot Option Priority there (Look for your SSD):

ASUS_F2A85-M_LE_boot_menu.jpg

Edited by badr0b0t, 09 February 2015 - 12:11 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#4 stanner21

stanner21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

How do I access the UEFI Utility?  

#5 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:45 PM

On most PCs, you have to hit the "Del" key right after powering on the PC to get to UEFI or check your manual. Not all computers are the same.

Edited by badr0b0t, 09 February 2015 - 12:52 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:06 PM

My first question is...how did you copy Windows to the new drive?  If you did not clone the Windows partition to the new drive, you won't be able to boot to the new drive.

If you did clone the Windows partition, then it's just a simple case of booting the new drive by itself (to see it if truly has been copied).  If you can boot into the new drive without the old drive being attached, you have properly cloned and configured.

Can you do this?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users