Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop wiped clean - windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 samuels2

samuels2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:37 AM

Hello,

Booted up my computer this morning and signed in. Most of my icons have been erased and my desktop background is black. When I located outlook on my c drive and open it, it asks me to go through the set up process again. Is there a way to recover my desktop? Is this a virus. I ran a scan and nothing came up.

Thank you

Edited by hamluis, 10 February 2015 - 04:45 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:59 AM

What was running on the computer prior to being shut down yesterday?  Any 3rd party programs recently added?  If you're familiar with explorer.exe operations, you can tree-climb to user, your account, desktop -- and see if the icons are still listed in that directory.  Soon, regular BC techs will appear, follow their advice, you can't go wrong.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 samuels2

samuels2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

Quickbooks version 15.0 was installed a week ago. Have not noticed any problems prior to this.

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:10 PM

Have you verified you are logged on to your User Account. You can check by clicking on the START button in the bottom left corner. In the start menu your name should appear at the top right side.

Another way to check who you are logged in as, is to Click on start and type "CMD" without the quotation marks. A black window will open that you can type in, all you need to do is type the command "WHOAMI" without the quotes and it will tell you who you are signed in as. Another command you could type into that black window is "NET USERS". This will list all user account on the machine, and you can see if there are any TEMP accounts.

Also, you said your screen was a black background, does it happen to say safe "SAFEMODE" in any or all of the 4 corners of your screen?

Edited by s1lents0ul, 09 February 2015 - 12:10 PM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 samuels2

samuels2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:10 PM

Thanks. I went through each step and confirmed it is me signed in as the user.

It is NOT in safemode. I actually restarted it again and the screen now has a generic blue design background.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:56 PM

Are your desktop icons still visible in explorer's user [your account] desktop folder?  Also, you can download, install and run Tweaking.com's Windows Repair (All in One), accept defaults, add checks for #s 26 & 27.  That program saved me a number of times.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users