Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java won't install

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JenniferRiordan

JenniferRiordan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:47 AM

This morning I removed Java from my computer with Revo Uninstaller and rebooted. I checked to see if Java was gone from add/remove programs, and it was. I then attempted to update to Java 8 Update 31 by downloading the exe file to my desktop. I opened it and got this error message, 'A newer build of this version of Java already exists on your system. It is not possible to install an older build.'

I then went to Java.com and clicked on 'Do I have Java', and I get this message: 'We are unable to verify if Java is currently installed and enabled in your browser. If you have installed Java and there is an error with the verification, there could be a configuration issue (eg. browser, Java control panel, security settings) or the Java plug-in is blocked by the browser.'

I then went to Java.com to use the uninstall tool for removal of older versions of Java and got this message: 'Java is disabled or not installed'.

I went into Firefox Addons and Plugins to see if I needed to 'enable' Java in some way but it wasn't listed. I also turned off my firewall antivirus and adware blocker prior to all the steps I have mentioned previously. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any guidance is appreciated
(The browser I use is Firefox and up to date fyi.) Jennifer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:14 AM

Try using JavaRa to clean up any Java installations then run setup again.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 JenniferRiordan

JenniferRiordan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:24 AM

I appreciate the help. I ran an app called 'Security Check' and it said I've got Java 8 update 31, which isn't compatible with windows XP.

I ran JavaRa to take it off my computer, rebooted, and ran Security Check again, and Java 8 still shows up??? Any ideas?

#4 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

Sounds like the Java plugin still exists and is enabled in your web browser. Follow the instructions towards the bottom of this page: Disable Java Browser Plugin and try the security check again.

#5 JenniferRiordan

JenniferRiordan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:47 AM

Java isn't listed in the Firefox plugins or extensions list. If I go into AllPrograms, it's the last one on the bottom. I open it up, and there are five files each displaying an icon that looks like a blank computer screen with a light grey border around the entire rectangle, a white screen like a blank computer screen, and a blue heading from left to right acting as a top border. They are labelled 'About Java' 'Check for Updates' 'Configure Java' 'Get Help' and 'Visit Java.com'.  If I hit any of the first three, I get a message that says: 'windows is searching for javacpl.exe to locate the file yourself click browse.'

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:23 AM

FWIW:  Jave 8, 31 IS compatible with XP...I have it installed on 2 different systems running dual-boots with XP and Win 7.  I just verified that the java website properly detects said install.

https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Louis

#7 JenniferRiordan

JenniferRiordan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:33 AM

I didn't know that Hamluis. Thanks.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

Well I got caught ... it seems like you posted two threads, one on GTG and one on BleepingComputer. In the future, please do not do that. I'll discontinue my assistance on your GTG thread and get it closed since this one got replies from more helpers.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:09 PM

Have you tried reinstalling the version you had previously and then uninstalling it using add/remove programs rather than Revo?

#10 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:13 PM

Well I got caught ... it seems like you posted two threads, one on GTG and one on BleepingComputer. In the future, please do not do that. I'll discontinue my assistance on your GTG thread and get it closed since this one got replies from more helpers.

And one on TSG! :)

http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/1142760-java-wont-install.html

Please stick around after posting. Helpers are never far. Don't disappear for a week!
Our help is free, so please have the courtesy to reply in a timely manner. Thank you!

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:18 PM

I hate it when people do that to be honest, it should be the same as if they were asking for assistance in the malware removal section but anyway...

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#12 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:21 PM

I hate it when people do that to be honest, it should be the same as if they were asking for assistance in the malware removal section but anyway...

Yup. A large number of new members post on multiple forums at the same time. When finding a solution on one, they generally do not bother giving feedback to the others.

Please stick around after posting. Helpers are never far. Don't disappear for a week!
Our help is free, so please have the courtesy to reply in a timely manner. Thank you!

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,593 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

You don't need Java.

Using Java is an unnecessary security risk...especially using older versions which have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.

Although Java is commonly used in business environments and many VPN providers still use it, the average user does not need to install Java software.

I recommend just uninstalling Java if you don't use it.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:06 PM

Just posting the thread the OP opened a GeeksToGo so the helpers can see what was tried so far and what she was working on:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/347194-java-wont-install/

unite_blue.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users