Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find Winnt32.exe on computer and I don't have a disc.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RossDG

RossDG

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:28 AM

Hi there,
I work as a computer teacher at a school, I am in charge of computer maintenance as well.

Some of our computers were donated to the school and I want to format them and re-install the windows xp operating system. From what I have read I will either need the windows XP installation disc or I will have to find the Winnt32.exe on the computer.

Here is my problem as the computers were donated I don't have the discs and for some reason the Winnt32.exe is not on the computer.

I have done extensive searches on multiple computers in my classroom and none of them have the Winnt32.exe.

How can I format and re-install Windows XP without the disc or the Winnt32.exe?

System Info:
Microsoft Xp
Profesional
version 2002
Service Pack 3

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2015 - 03:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:46 AM

Hello,

You cannot reinstall XP without the install disk. Winnt32.exe is on the CD and launches the install from the Autorun.ini file. If Windows install does not start when you insert the CD, then you can double click Winnt32.exe to start the process.

The only way to reinstall would be to extract the retail key from the each computer using Majical Jelly Bean Keyfinder and use that with a XP PRO install disk.  You may be able to find one on Ebay or perhaps somebody you know can lend you a XP PRO install disk.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 February 2015 - 08:47 AM.

#3 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

Supposedly, you can make an XP disc from the i386 folder on the C drive, like so: http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml. I haven't tried it myself, so I can't say it would work 100%. Also, it won't work if you don't know what SP the computers were originally installed with (if you do know: follow the instructions to slipstream all service packs you wouldn't install otherwise). Do extract the product keys first. If you don't have an i386 folder, you might be able to get a disc somewhere else (still have to know what SP they were originally installed with). If you don't know what SP they were installed with, get an XP Pro SP3 disc and skip the product key. Supposedly, you can then activate it like so (haven't tried): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/genuine/product-key#T1=tab03

It refuses to run on those IOS's because the earlier versions of cIOScorp scooped out your Wii's innards and turned them into delicious Scrambled IOS Breakfast, which confused the crap out of their installer and gave TT all sorts of bizarre errors to scratch their heads over.

Limits are temporary, the boundaries of which are to be pushed by diligent study and application of oneself to the problem at hand.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,506 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:02 PM

Is it possible to install Windows 7 Pro just enough to then install Microsoft's VM and Windows XP Mode?  I mention this because schools can get discounts from Microsoft for Windows 7 [if one acts quickly], at least I hope they do! as much as schools purchase from Microsoft.

Edited by RolandJS, 12 February 2015 - 01:03 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users