Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic laptop chargers?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Asks-for-Boots

Asks-for-Boots

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:39 AM

I learned my lesson when buying cheap generic laptop adapters after I nearly blew up a hotel room with one, but I have a new laptop and I'm unsure about the adapter. My laptop is white-label (manufactured by Clevo and branded Novatech), and is therefore pretty much generic itself. The laptop adapter says "HIPRO" on it. I can't find much about them online and I'm unsure whether it's a cheap (and potentially dangerous adapter) or if it's the one that was shipped with the laptop since the laptop is also essentially generic itself. Has anyone ever heard of Hipro?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:18 PM

Not until I saw your post !

They seem to be quite big in the power supply business making laptop and desktop supplies. You will find them advertised on Amazon so they must be reasonably reliable since Amazon don't like either being sued or getting bad publicity. You will also find them on eBAy and all the other usual suspects. I would class them as second tier products, but that is merely an opinion !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

Check out Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=clevo+ac+power+adapter&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Aclevo+ac+power+adapter for the correct model for your Clevo computer

#4 Asks-for-Boots

Asks-for-Boots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:07 AM

Sorry for replying to this late, I've been away on holiday with no internet.

I guess if they're on Amazon it's fine, I was just slightly dubious as I have a habit of buying generic/unbranded stuff that I can't identify. If HiPro is safe, it's all good, I wasn't totally willing to fork out a loads and loads on Clevo-made adapters since the laptop itself was £30, but didn't want the same experience as I had with the last generic one.

Thanks for all your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users