Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network Cards And Routers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Baphometa

Baphometa

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:57 PM

ok so it kind about these two things lol but i had a question is it agains the law to use a next door neighbors wireless router to get online??? just curious i mean if you didn't access his computer you just used his dsl so you didn't have to use your 26k modem?? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:36 PM

Yes. As far as I know that is stealing. Unless he offers you to use it - then thats him doing the stealing (from the provider).
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 Baphometa

Baphometa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:38 PM

oh well thats good to know thank you

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:12 AM

There are many perspectives on this issue. I'm not a legal expert but if your neighbor is broadcasting an unsecured network with no kind of user access control, then it's fair game in my opinion. BUT, if the neighbor does use some kind of security and you try to break through it, then that would be stealing. Besides, many routers allow network admins to see just who is accessing the router and what information is being sent. Do you want your neighbor to know what you're doing?

3939.png

#5 MathsDude

MathsDude

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:39 AM

LOL i do it sometimes..... :thumbsup:
I dont think its illegal cos if the neighbours dont encrypt their wireless than they r broadcating it to evry1...
That means that - in theory- they dont mind other people using their connection. But of course they do mind.
It is their problem to sort it!!!!!!

But in all fairness I wouldnt download n stuff, just browse if I really needed to.
If anyone ever tells you that you are a geek, just simply reply: " Geeks get rich, popular people get to live in council flats!!!!"

#6 Baphometa

Baphometa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:18 PM

id rather them not knowing cause if they did they might encrypt there network and then id be back to a modem and i cant handle dial up im to used to cable and being able to dl at 150kb a second (god that was nice) then i went to 26k modem drive me absolutley mad then i found a wireless network with dsl hehe good times

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:06 PM

Technically it is illegal because the provider never authorized YOU to use the service... but if your neighbour is broadcasting it I would think that he would be at fault since if he set up the wireless network he should take the measures to encrypt the network so that he can respect his Terms of Service... That is how I see it...

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:45 AM

I have a DSL modem with a router at home (Now, I live in University housing with a T3 line) and the contract specifies that you cannot offer your bandwidth to others. They mean I can't give it away to my neighbors but can use it in the home. If the provider determines you're violating the ToS they WILL shut their subscriber down. Rarely do they take action against the unauthorized users. If probs arise for the subscriber, they should be aware of the fine print and encrypt their systems. For instance, I use encryption, don't broadcast my SSID, and have enabled MAC address authentication. Nevertheless, it's not illegal to use the bandwidth of others wirelessly it's just...wrong to do so.

3939.png

#9 MathsDude

MathsDude

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:51 AM

To be honest I dont think this is such a big issue.
I mean how many things out there are illegal but people still do?????
And how many things are wrong but people still do ?????
Its down to what u believe is the right thing to do.

PS: as to them finding out.... I DONT THINK SO. If anyone hasnt encrypted their router, there is a big chance they dont even know how to acces their router and use the options provided including seeing who is on the network!!!!!!!!!!
Believe me I know. I am at uni and there are loads of people who dont encrypt cos they aint bothered. Fact is they dont know how!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:
MathsDude
If anyone ever tells you that you are a geek, just simply reply: " Geeks get rich, popular people get to live in council flats!!!!"

#10 cowee

cowee

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:44 PM

If you are connecting to your neighbors unsecured wireless connection without his consent, it is illegal.

If you are connecting to your neighbors unsecured wireless connection with his consent, it is most likely illegal (at the very least against the terms of agreement with the ISP), though he would be the one breaking the law.

Check out:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13052

It is a good, quick little article that has plenty of information for you.

Cheers

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:20 PM

People do illegal things all the time and don't get caught, this is one of them. I agree, alot of people just simply don't know how to encrypt their connections. I live in NYC and when I turn the wireless card on I get about 15-20 seperate networks and most of them are unencrypted.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users