Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card problem? Getting multi-coloured screens (green, pink, yellow etc)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JRoadkill

JRoadkill

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:24 AM

Hi All,

I have only had my PC crash while playing two games, one is The Sims 3 and the other is on Steam - Stranded Deep (amazing game btw).

I have made this post as getting 3 crashes in the last 20 minutes was the last straw!

:smash:

I have a pretty decent PC, specs below:

- Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1

- Intel Core i7 CPU

- 8GB DDR3 RAM

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 - installed drivers: nvd3dumx, nvwgf2umx, nvd3dum, nvwgf2um

- 1TB SATA Hybrid HDD

So what happens is I am happily playing my game then suddenly it crashes to the "coloured screen of the day" and it crashes the whole PC - so any audio that has been playing is jittering and can't do anything to the PC but give it the dirty finger. Can't Ctrl+Alt+Del, no Alt+Tab, no Windows+L. Can't even use the "nice shutdown" button on my PC, have to use the restart button or hold down to hard shut down.

Have tried the following to fix or troubleshoot in The Sims 3, then more recently with Stranded Deep:

- Updating graphics driver in increments - this seemed to make the problem worse, the latest graphics driver actually caused other issues so had to roll back!

- Event Viewer says NOTHING other than the "I have been shutdown unexpectedly" message once it comes back to life - no application errors, system errors or anything leading up to the incident

- Have even had PerfMon running at times capturing RAM and CPU activity whilst playing The Sims 3 to see if I could find anything there - nothing but the not-so-well-known Sims 3 issue of it being a 32-bit game and crashing (with errors) when it reaches its maximum RAM usage of 4GB. (On another note, I have even adjusted the exe of The Sims 3 in an attempt to get it to use more RAM, even paging)

- Making sure nothing else is running whilst playing, this means any application that I have installed myself, including AV. I have not terminated anything to do with the system itself.

I am lost at what else to do and if this is even a graphics card problem. I may be barking up the wrong tree.

:crazy:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:18 AM

Sounds like your graphics card has failed.  It may also be a cooling issue.  You can try clearing out the graphics card fan and heat sinks to see if it makes any difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users