Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS not completing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 savionawill

savionawill

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:45 PM

Recently tried to turn on my PC. Was working fine yesterday. Now instead of booting, I get no display plus a Short beep followed by a long beep. The HP help forums says this is a memory problem. My BIOS is AMI. 
All fans are working as well.
Specs:
HP Pavilion 6720
AMD Phenom II 840T Quad Core Processor
AMD Radeon 4200
(I don't know what motherboard it is)
Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

Did they say which memory? That could be very helpful.

In the meanwhile here's a troubleshooting list that may just help. Your beep code isn't a standard warning, so just follow the other re-seating steps.

Let us know how you go.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,682 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:23 PM

Your specs list the memory as Type: DDR3-1333

Motherboard:  N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)

Edit: The F suffix on the 6720 is the desktop and the S suffix is a laptop. This is the desktop, correct?

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 February 2015 - 06:26 PM.

#4 savionawill

savionawill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:40 PM

Did they say which memory? That could be very helpful.

In the meanwhile here's a troubleshooting list that may just help. Your beep code isn't a standard warning, so just follow the other re-seating steps.

Let us know how you go.

Doesn't say which memory. Just says whats here.
I've just moved around the RAM, and no change. The beep continues. 

Your specs list the memory as Type: DDR3-1333

Motherboard:  N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)

Edit: The F suffix on the 6720 is the desktop and the S suffix is a laptop. This is the desktop, correct?

Yes this is a desktop.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,682 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:46 PM

Try running with only one module. If you still get the beep error, then change slots. If that does not work, substitute the other module and also change slots. The motherboard looks like it has dual channel memory. If the error goes away then add another module to the same color RAM slot.

#6 savionawill

savionawill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:08 PM

What's with the different colored RAM slots? Also, I've taken it out and reseated it a few times as suggested, but no dice. Any other possible solutions?

Try running with only one module. If you still get the beep error, then change slots. If that does not work, substitute the other module and also change slots. The motherboard looks like it has dual channel memory. If the error goes away then add another module to the same color RAM slot.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,682 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:16 PM

Different colored slots indicate Dual Channel Memory. It depends on the motherboard but you usually fill the same colored slots first.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Everything-You-Need-to-Know-About-the-Dual-Triple-and-Quad-Channel-Memory-Architectures/133/5

The only other thing I can suggest is to create a bootable disk of memtest+ and run it for at least 6 passes.

http://www.memtest.org/

Maybe somebody else can give their thoughts on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users