Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IBM Thinkcentre 8173KVC

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tanner1452

tanner1452

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:29 PM

Hello,

I have an IBM thinkcentre 8173KVC.  The specs are: Intel Pentium 4 with hyperthreading and 1gb ddr ram.  That is all I know about it, because I have a problem.  The IDE DVD drive works fine, but the SATA hard drive is not detected by the BIOS, or windows install.  I have tried multiple drives, cables, etc.  Still, the only thing that is detected is the IDE drive.  Please tell me how I can resolve this.

Thanks,

Tanner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:49 PM

Hello, and Welcome

See this Lenovo thread. Disconnect all IDE devices and then see if BIOS detects the drive. PATA and SATA may not work together on the computer. It is also quite old and it may not see the full capacity of the drive. The thread is for the S50. Yours is a S51 but the problem may be similar.

#3 tanner1452

tanner1452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:42 PM

Hi,

I have tried disconnecting the DVD drive, still no luck.  This is my aunts old computer, and before it sat in storage for about a year, it worked fine with both the SATA and PATA devices together, so I am not sure why it is doing this all of a sudden.  If there is anything else I can try, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tanner

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:57 PM

You can try the following. I would replace the CMOS battery. If you cannot do that right away, unplug the power cord, ground yourself on some bare metal of the case, and remove the CMOS battey. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the battery and attach the power cord. Attach your SATA drive. Leave the IDE drives detached. Power up the computer and see if BIOS detects your SATA drive. You may have to set the BIOS settings to default. Try changing the location of the SATA cable to another SATA port on the motherboard. 

If you remove the drive and attach it to another comptuer, is it detected in BIOS?

Other than that, I am pretty much out of ideas. Hopefully somebody else on the forum can give their thoughts on this.

Here is the user guide for the computer. It may give you some helpful info.

#5 tanner1452

tanner1452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:22 PM

Hi,

I just tried removing the cmos battery, and holding down the power button.  Still no luck.  The drive is detected in my other computer.  I also tried moving the SATA to another port on the motherboard.  I will try using a PATA hard drive and see if that is detected.  I will update you after I try that.

Tanner

#6 tanner1452

tanner1452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:35 PM

I tried the PATA drive, and it detects it, but it will not boot off of it.  The drive has windows xp and puppy linux dual booted, so it should boot.   By the way, it keeps wanting to boot off of the network with the broadcom ethernet controller.  Do either of those findings tell us anything more about the issue?

Thanks,

Tanner

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:50 PM

Is this the orginal PATA drive that was on the computer? You cannot move a hard drive from one computer to another and have it boot windows. I know you can do it in linux but I am not sure about dual boot. The reason it is trying to boot off ethernet is because it cannot detect a bootable OS. Is the PATA drive set as first boot device in BIOS?

#8 tanner1452

tanner1452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:52 PM

I did set the PATA drive as primary.  This is not the original drive, i got this drive from another computer just to test it.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:30 PM

The original drive did not boot either? What OS was on the original drive?

#10 tanner1452

tanner1452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:39 PM

The original drive was that sata that it would not detect.  It was detected in my other computer though.  It has windows xp.  If you need me to clear anything up on what drive goes where, whats original, etc. please let me know.  It is kind of getting confusing after talking about multiple drives.

Edited by tanner1452, 08 February 2015 - 09:39 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:56 PM

Okay, I think I understand now. The original drive is SATA and is no longer detected but is detected in another computer. You tried a PATA drive that is detected but did not boot. I would say there is a problem with the SATA ports on the motherboard. Is there an option in BIOS to enable the SATA ports?  You could try flashing the BIOS with a later version but that can brick the computer if the flash goes bad.

If you have a spare SATA drive see if it is detected. If not that would confirm a problem with the motherboard. Your option then would to do a fresh install on a PATA drive. If you do not have a retail install disk of XP then I would suggest something like Xubuntu or Mint Xfce.

#12 tanner1452

tanner1452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:10 PM

Yes that is correct.  I do have a windows xp disk, and there is a product key on the side of the pc.  One more thing I should mention is that I noticed some "whining" noise coming from the motherboard.  I am guessing it is capacitor whine, which is a high pitched noise that sometimes comes from older capacitors.  Would this have anything to do with the SATA issue?

Thanks,

Tanner

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:59 PM

I am not sure. I am not that much of a hardware person. Do you notice any bulging capictors on the motherboard?

I do not think the COA on the side works anymore to activate. You will probably need to do a phone activation. If the disk is OEM you cannot transfer the license to another computer. It can only be used with the computer the disk came with.  If the SATA drive is not detected in BIOS then I would have to assume it's motherboard related. Is there a later BIOS version for this computer?

Edit: Another thing I would check is the power cable from the PSU to the SATA drive. If that is not delivering power to the SATA drive then it would not be detected in BIOS I believe. Is it some kind of adapter from a molex power cord to a SATA power cord or does the PSU have a native SATA power cable?

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 February 2015 - 09:10 PM.

#14 tanner1452

tanner1452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:28 PM

Hi,

I notice one capacitor, it is bulging a little bit, and there is some brown corrosion on top of it.  It happens to be sort of by the sata ports.  I will look to see if there is a later BIOS version.  The sata power connector is straight from the psu, I will try using a molex to sata adapter to see if there happens to be something wrong with the power connector.

Tanner

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:46 PM

Yep, I would say you have a bad capacitor. There should be no bulging and no corrosion either. If you are good at soldering you can replace the capacitor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users