Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating windows seemed like a good idea at the time...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:31 PM

Yesterday, I re-installed windows 8.1 on my computer, and have since re-installed most of what I use regularly. This morning, shortly before I was set to head out, I decided to have windows update download and install all the important updates for me. It downloaded them, and seemed to be installing fine. When it prompted me to restart, I let it.

That's when things sort of went sideways. At the Blue shut-down screen, it gave me the normal "Working on updates" with a percentage complete. After a bit, my computer restarted and returned to same blue screen with same message, and then a message "Windows could not complete updates, undoing changes".

All of this took a considerable amount of time, and I was anxious to leave, but I waited anyhow. After a while of "undoing changes", my computer rebooted again and didn't make it past the splash screen for my Bios. There was a message of "checking system" or "verifying hardware" (I can't remember exactly what it said) and a percentage, that was at 0% and apparently not changing. I waited I would say about 10 minutes for it to change to at least 1%, but it just stayed at 0%.

So, in short, I think I need to do a repair install, or maybe system restore (which I had turned on, but I don't know if I have any restore points or not.) Can anybody guess as to what happened, what the best course to fix it is, and how to avoid this happening next time my PC updates?

I am currently away from home and it will be several hours before I get to attempt anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:38 AM

It's a bit of a stab in the dark from me but you 're-installed most of what I use regularly' before updating Windows updates. Could one of those programs have caused a problem?

A refresh might solve the problem but of course it also removes programs.

Attached File  refresh-search.jpg   19.56KB   0 downloads

Edited by HairCut, 09 February 2015 - 07:55 AM.

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:37 PM

Already re-reinstalled. This time I installed my motherboard drivers and then updated windows, before installing / updating anything else. 

Everything seems to be working fine now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users