Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 apps will not open or download new ones

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 akarose

akarose

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:59 PM

Hi

This is not really a new thing, but I still have the same problem. I have tried to refresh windows and it gets nearly to the end and message is that it can not refresh. So I tried to re-install and the same thing happens. It gets to 98 percent and cannot finish installing. Is there any other thing I can do or just resign myself to the fact that the app feature on 8.1 is not going to work on my system.

When trying to download a new app from the app store, the message is error 0x80070002

maybe I have to wait for Windows 10????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:04 PM

Have you tried using the System Recovery partition to reinstall Windows 8?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 akarose

akarose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:11 PM

No, just tried from the disk Dell sent me. Don't think I know what the 'System Recover partition' is. I know some things but not a lot.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:20 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 akarose

akarose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:53 PM

Hi

It is a DELL Inspiron (3847, early 2013

I have been to Dell's support and ran their diagnosis and the computer checks out ok. Couldn't find anything to help with windows OS there.

#6 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:46 AM

The 'System recovery partition' mentioned above is a partition on the Hard Disk used to refresh or re-install the Operating System without the need for a recovery disk from Dell.

Since you have already tried to use the the recovery disk from Dell and are willing to go so far as to 're-install' thereby wiping your files and programs. You might as well give it a try from the recovery Partition.

I note here that a 'Refresh' preserves Windows Store Apps so in this case you might require to 'Remove everything and Re-install windows' using the System Recovery partition

Attached File  refresh-search.jpg   19.56KB   0 downloads

I'd be trying try a refresh first though.

Edited by HairCut, 09 February 2015 - 06:03 AM.

#7 fredmerv12

fredmerv12

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:55 PM

The problem could be due to windows update. Have you tried installing windows updates or check if there are pending updates. Click on power button and if shows update and restart then select it . It should update and then restart your system allowing other updates to install. 

This should fix the apps issue.

Check and let me know if you have any other issues other than updating apps mentioned below

1. X mark on metro apps icon

2. Cannot open pc settings

3. Updated the system from Windows 8 to windows 8.1 

if you have any of the above issues then this could be migration issue which can be fixed by getting into registry.

#8 akarose

akarose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:01 AM

none of these are the case.

When I click on an app I just get a blank screen

I can open settings

and the system updated to windows 8.1 from windows 8 and continues to do any updates.

#9 fredmerv12

fredmerv12

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:54 AM

Ok so your issues seems to be different. 

Have you tried creating a new user account and testing if the apps open and install in the new user account. 

And do you have a wireless keyboard/mouse or any printer connected to the system when performing refresh/reset. Sometime when these devices are connected the refresh/reset fails. 

When did you system upgrade to Windows 8.1. 

Also attach a screen shot of your start screen in here. To take screen shot of the start screen you can follow the below guide. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-take-and-share-a-screen-shot-in-windows/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users