Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

password recovery

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mike259

mike259

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

I do not have a password reset disk and forgot the windows password for vista.

Trying to set up a older computer for my son that I know works.

My name comes up when at the welcome screen, but every password I thought it would be does not work.

Could anyone help me with this, or direct me to somewhere someone could

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:19 PM

Hello, and Welcome

You can enable the Hidden Administrator Account using a bootable disk. Follow the steps here. Once you have the Administrator Account enabled you can change or delete the password in Control panel under USERS. On a Windows 7 computer you can burn the iso by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. On a XP computer you can use isoburner. It's best not to reset the password. Only enable the Adminstrator account and use that to change or delete the password of  your account.

If there is more than one account on the computer, log into the account that does not need a password and type CMD in the search box. Right click > Run as Administrator then type:

net user administrator /active:yes

You can disable the Administrator account again using

net user administrator /active:no

#3 mike259

mike259
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:28 PM

Thank you for your help, Very much appreciated :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users