Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing error message and freeze

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:09 AM

My hard drive died yesterday, so I put another one in, and proceeded to install Windows from the same DVD disc, same computer, same DVD drive and same everything, only the hard drive is different. but I cannot install Windows 7 on this new hard drive. I am presented with an error message,

A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.

and asks me to browse for a driver. but if I click on any option whatsoever, everything seems to freeze. my old hard drive and installation didn't give me this error message at all, in fact it installed seamlessly. how do I remedy this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:49 AM

i had the exact same problem, i solved it by creating an install disk at a lower write speed (2x)

download a windows 7 ISO and create a bootable install cd from it at 2x speed

Edited by mikey11, 08 February 2015 - 09:49 AM.

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:18 AM

I ended up fixing it by powering off the machine and turning it back on. and starting over from there. thanks anyway

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:14 PM

If this ever happens again open the Device Manager and double click on DVD/CD-Rom.  

When this opens double click on the optical drive, then click on the Driver tab.  Click on Uninstall and restart your computer.

This will result in a new driver being installed for the optical drive when the computer is restarted.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:45 PM

there is nothing on the hard drive, they are trying to install windows on a new drive

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2015 - 11:30 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users