Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard disk replacement

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:08 AM

Hi everybody, :) 

I will be helping a friend change a failing hard drive on a SATA II controller to a new and larger drive.  I realize SATA III drives are backwards compatible, but I have a question:  SATA III drives are actually less expensive today than older SATA II drives, but is there a benefit to purchasing a real SATA II replacement?  It also seems that SATA III drives have a larger cache. 

Existing drive:  Seagate  ST3160812AS

Possible replacement: WD WDBH2D5000ENC-NRSN

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:43 AM

There is no benefit in buying a HD with an SATA II controller.  And if /When an upgrade happens in the future you will be able to take advantage of the much higher speed capability of an SATA III controller/HD.

#3 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:46 AM

Just to add to that this sums it up pretty good posted by Scan Disk

Difference between SATA I, SATA II and SATA III
What is the difference between SATA I, SATA II and SATA III?

SATA I (revision 1.x) interface, formally known as SATA 1.5Gb/s, is the first generation SATA interface running at 1.5 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 150MB/s.

SATA II
 (revision 2.x) interface, formally known as SATA 3Gb/s, is a second generation SATA interface running at 3.0 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 300MB/s.

SATA III (revision 3.x) interface, formally known as SATA 6Gb/s, is a third generation SATA interface running at 6.0Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 600MB/s. This interface is backwards compatible with SATA 3 Gb/s interface.

SATA II specifications provide backward compatibility to function on SATA I ports. SATA III specifications provide backward compatibility to function on SATA I and SATA II ports. However, the maximum speed of the drive will be slower due to the lower speed limitations of the port.

Example: SanDisk Extreme SSD, which supports SATA 6Gb/s interface and when connected to SATA 6Gb/s port, can reach up to550/520MB/s sequential read and sequential write speed rates respectively. However, when the drive is connected to SATA 3 Gb/s port, it can reach up to 285/275MB/s sequential read and sequential write speed rates respectively.

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

#4 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for the information.  Strange coincidence because I have two of the exact same Seagate drives on an old Dell system of mine.  Those are also going to be replaced soon.

Thanks again :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users