Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

shorted USB port now PC won't boot reliably

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cpuken

cpuken

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:34 AM

About a week ago while attempting to plug a USB cable in backwards (it was dark room) it shorted out and the computer just shut down. I tried getting it to boot for about half an hour. When I would power it up I could hear a drive spinning up, the fans and lights are coming on but nothing on the monitor.
Gave up for the day but the next day it booted up as normal (boots from a SSD). Thought I was out of the woods. Ran fine for a week but today I had a bunch of stuff running an it became a little sluggish... So I rebooted only to discover the same No-Boot problem!!!
I have no clue where the problem lies since it booted and ran fine before the Attempted reboot.
It doest even display the bios splash screen.
Any ideas?

Ran fine for a week so thought it was back to normal but when I attempted a reboot again it would not boot. No bios screen, nothing. Again let it sit overnight. Still wouldn't boot the next morning. Tried multiple times... Tried hitting ESC, F10, Del key nothing.
A few hours later tried again, I reached up and hit the reset button on the case and the bios splash screen appeared... Not sure if that was a coincidence or if it's related.
Any ideas what the problem is??
Don't want to restart again without any clues. The next time I reboot may be my last. Once it boots it looks and runs normally

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:18 AM

Look closely into the USB port (the one that got janked).

Are there any of the traces (metal parts) touching or crammed together?

Edited by bludgard, 08 February 2015 - 08:18 AM.

#3 cpuken

cpuken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:13 AM

I'll check the port, thanks for your reply... But I've actually successfully used that port a dozen times since the first episode (primarily for an SD card reader).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users