Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB device acting up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:36 AM

I'm running a Dell Dimension XPS 410 desktop with Windows Vista. A week ago, I came back to my computer that was on sleep mode and it wouldn't come back on when I moved the mouse. I cold booted and got an error message that a USB device stopped working but everything worked.  This happened again today and when I cold booted, II noticed that I had no mouse cursor so I thought it was the USB mouse.  I cold booted and everygthing works fine. I went to device manager and there were no yellow exclamation marks nor were there any such marks anywhere in device manager.

I'm not sure if a device had actually failed as a piece of hardware doesn't "heal" once you reboot so I'm not sure if it's an external device or a windows issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

It appears as though you answered your own question.  *moved mouse and mouse wasn't working to wake pc.  *cold booted and had no mouse cursor have a look around the web at static charge buildup.  Try powering down your computer and disconnecting the mouse.  Power the pc back on with the mouse disconnected.  Use the keyboard to power the computer back down.  Re-connect the mouse.  It could also be that the mouse port is failing, but that is not usually the case.

#3 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:37 PM

Strange that this had happened twice within 3 days and hasn't happened again.  What commands keyboard commands do you use to power the computer down in case I should have to do that? Do you need to do that from a command prompt?

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:09 PM

Use the tab key to cycle through the ' options ' on the sign in screen and use the keyboard arrow keys and or windows key and use the enter key on the keyboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users