Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mystery ding after comma

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 elo2095

elo2095

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:46 AM

Hi all... brand new member with a question!

Every time I am typing and press the comma key then press the space bar, I get the Windows "DING!" sound and the cursor won't move. I have to then hit the space bar again to get the space, and thus the ability to continue typing the sentence. I know, it sounds weird. And it has DINGED 3 times already typing this question.

Let me explain again so I make sure I have phrased this correctly.

For instance, it JUST now DINGED after I typed "instance" and pressed the comma key. The comma appears but as soon as I hit the space bar it goes DING and no space is created after the comma. I have to hit the spacebar immediately again for the cursor to then move.

Did I explain well enough? To be clear....  I'll explain real time. As I am typing this right now, it JUST happened. I typed  the word "now" and pressed the comma key and the comma correctly appeared after the letter "w" and then I pressed the space bar but it DINGED and the cursor did not move thus NOT creating a space so then I pressed the space bar again and the space appeared and then I was able to type the word "it" and so on and so forth and I also get these lovely run on sentences.

I have done Google searches and maybe I am unable to properly phrase the question but I have never heard of anything like this at all.

Thank you in advance if anyone has any idea what the world is happening here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:03 AM

Maybe something on this page can help you?  Please let us know.

#3 elo2095

elo2095
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:24 PM

Nope, nothing there that helps. Good idea, though. (2 DINGS typing this sentence. It's really starting to annoy me!)

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:15 AM

When did this start happening?
Desktop or laptop?

#5 elo2095

elo2095
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:05 AM

It's a tower I built last year. I just now filled out that form which states all the technical information about the computer. I can't say when I first noticed it... maybe 4 months ago? Would it help if I recorded video of this anamoly and posted that here?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:21 AM

You probably have already tried this but have you set Windows Sounds back to default? Edit: Sorry, I know this is an obvious question but have you tried a different keyboard?

194d1225616162-sounds-change-sound.jpg?s

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 February 2015 - 11:27 AM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:27 AM

Try setting the sounds back to default. If that does not work a recording of what you hear could be helpful.
Upload it to youtube or a similar site and post the link.

#8 elo2095

elo2095
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:18 PM

Hi, I went ahead and set the sound up just like the screencap you posted JohnC, and the DING went away. However, I still have the problem of the space not appearing after the comma. So I hit the comma, and have to hit the spacbar twice to get a space after the comma. It's less annoying for sure. It's a Microsoft wireless mouse/keyboard combo. It's a few years old so maybe it's just time get a new set. I don't have an extra keyboard right now, so I can't test that theory. But I will soon as I can. Queen, if I still am having a problem I'll upload a video.

Another issue I'm having is my spellcheck isn't working on this site at all. I have the checkmark beside "check spelling" but it's not underlining my goofs. The comma problem is everywhere, the spellcheck problem is only here.

Thanks again for your prompt and helpfull tips. I really like this site!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:29 PM

If this is a bluetooth wireless keyboard, you might want to try pairing the device again. I am not sure how that is done with your keyboard though.

#10 elo2095

elo2095
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:20 AM

Sorry I haven't updated lately. Still having the problem. How do I record video with audio of what is happening on the screen so I can put it on Youtube and then link it here? Is there a program I need or is there something (that I cannot find) built in with Windows (7) that I can use?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users