Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen after Logon

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 John Harper

John Harper

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:19 AM

Hi.

I see this has been asked a few times, but the threads never seem to get to an answer that can help me directly, so I'm posting my own issue here.

My brother in law has a laptop, he did a windows update and now once he logs in he gets a black screen with a working cursor and nothing else.

It will load into safe mode but safe mode doesn't actually let me do anything.  

The startup repair came up with nothing and there are no fall-back reversion points (I.e to take comp back to before it did the updates).

Note:  I have my B-I-L's comments that he was doing windows updates.  I wouldn't put it past him if he was duped into downloading a 'critical' update that was actually the complete opposite.  If I could do anything on the comp I would do a malware scan, but can't, so didn't.

By following instructions in another thread I was able to get a FRST log which i've included below.

Does this sense to anyone?

Thanks in advance for any help / light shedding.

Cheers,

John

Mod Edit:  Removed FRST log data, malware tool NOT USED in this forum - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 08 February 2015 - 08:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:01 AM

Try using the system file checker as detailed here: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/run-sfc-offline-windows-7-vista/. Run a full scan on the drive.

It refuses to run on those IOS's because the earlier versions of cIOScorp scooped out your Wii's innards and turned them into delicious Scrambled IOS Breakfast, which confused the crap out of their installer and gave TT all sorts of bizarre errors to scratch their heads over.

Limits are temporary, the boundaries of which are to be pushed by diligent study and application of oneself to the problem at hand.

#3 John Harper

John Harper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:29 AM

Thanks.  Ran that.  It says it found some corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.  With a restart I still get the black screen but I no longer get the cursor.  Just black.

Progress?

#4 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:32 AM

What were the files it was unable to fix and what was the exact error message it gave?

It refuses to run on those IOS's because the earlier versions of cIOScorp scooped out your Wii's innards and turned them into delicious Scrambled IOS Breakfast, which confused the crap out of their installer and gave TT all sorts of bizarre errors to scratch their heads over.

Limits are temporary, the boundaries of which are to be pushed by diligent study and application of oneself to the problem at hand.

#5 John Harper

John Harper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:49 AM

I'll have to go through it again sorry.  the message was pretty much what I said above - no extra detail.  It found some corrupt files but could not fix all of them.  Ill have a nosy to see if left an error file

Thanks,

John

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:17 AM

The log files you are looking for are in the C:\logs\cbs folder. It will be called cbs.log

You'll need to extract the useful info from the log, which will be quite large and hard to read.

Open a command prompt and enter this command:

findstr /c:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > %userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

It will save a file to your desktop named sfcdetails.txt, which will contain a list of only those files SFC was unable to repair.

#7 John Harper

John Harper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:48 PM

Ok the exact message is

"Windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Details are included in the cbs.log"

Findstr doesn't work but I'll download the log and have a nosy...thanks

#8 John Harper

John Harper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:01 PM

I opened the log file in notepad. No 'repair' , no 'corrupt, no 'member'.

There are a lot of 'fail' eg

Failed to internally open package

Failed to get next element

Warning: unrecognised packageExtended attribute.

Are these the kind of things that look of interest?

Thanks

John

Edited by John Harper, 08 February 2015 - 11:10 PM.

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:20 PM

Did you run the command from the command prompt I recommended earlier? If not, do so.

Also, run this one:

findstr /c:"Failed to internally open package" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > %userprofile%\Desktop\sfcfails.txt

Take the contents of the two text files that will be saved to your desktop, and copy and paste them in your next post.

#10 fredmerv12

fredmerv12

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:02 AM

I did come across this issue many times. Mostly the black screen could be due to more than one AV installed on the system..

What AV is installed on the system. 

Are you able to bring Task manager by pushing ctrl+alt+delete when you have the black screen.

Try booting up the system in clean mode ( disable all non-mircrosoft services under msconfig) and restart the system.

#11 John Harper

John Harper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:43 AM

@sflatechguy

Hi, yes I can all the commands you put up, except when I did the findstr it says that findstr is not correct syntax or something - it basically refused to run the command

@fredmerv12, no task manager at all I'm sorry.  What do you mean by AV?  its a laptop with a integral graphics setup.  I have tried running in low res mode but I get the same problem.

It might be that I just need to do a clean install, which would suck, especially as my brother in law no longer has his CDs that came with it.

There is no  'clean mode' under the F8 menu on bootup...unless it might come under a different name?

Is there some way to modify drivers through the command prompt?  For example if I it had actually been a legit windows update which made this comp go bang, then it would have updated something in the windows directory.  Can i easily search for 'modified date' of files and then find out which files were changed on the day of the update and then swap them out for an 'older model' driver?  

Thanks for your help, sorry I am sounding like a thicko.

Cheers,

John

#12 fredmerv12

fredmerv12

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:04 AM

John, 

Sorry I was not specific enough. Let me more specific.

1. What is the operating system installed on the system.

2. Are you able to boot into Safe mode with networking from f8 options.

3. Clean mode is only possible by disabling all non-Microsoft services from system configuration utlity (msconfig). You need to boot into the system to get this done.

4. AV mean Anti-virus application installed on the system. If you two of them ( microsoft security essentials) is know to cause black screen when another AV is installed.

5. If all else fails, boot the system into normal and leave it on for couple of hours or even 4 hours it should boot up into normal. I know it sounds weird but if you have done everything sparing another 4 hours before you nuke doesnt sound bad. This worked for me 3 out of 5 times. All the three times it worked for me was due to two or more AV installed on my customers system.

#13 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

@sflatechguy

Hi, yes I can all the commands you put up, except when I did the findstr it says that findstr is not correct syntax or something - it basically refused to run the command

That suggests to me there are some serious issues with your operating system files. The fact that the command prompt doesn't recognize something like "findstr" may be an indication of bigger problems.

You may have no choice but to do either a repair install or a clean install -- which will be tricky if you don't have an installation disk, as DigitalRiver no longer makes those Windows 7 ISOs available. :mellow:

#14 John Harper

John Harper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:06 AM

I can boot into safe mode, but everything is very slow. it took about 15 minutes to get the start menu to open to allow me to type in msconfig.  i clicked on it but it would not open. about five minutes to get control panel window open though no icons would show up.

It's all sounding a bit dodgey isn't it? :(

#15 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:14 AM

The fact that you can't get to the logon screen, that the system runs extremely slow in safe mode, and that the system doesn't recognize various DOS commands are all fairly good indications that significant OS files have become damaged or corrupt. It really looks like your only options are a repair installation or a clean install.

If you don't have a Windows 7 installation DVD, you may be able to get one from whoever made that particular computer -- if it came with Windows installed. You'll most likely need the computer's serial number, and they may charge you for the DVD. I would also recommend backing up whatever user data you can to another hard drive or a USB stick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users