Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attempted to set up 8.1/10 dual boot, only boots to 10 now

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:51 PM

I followed the How To Geek's guide on how to dual boot - sort of. I was unable to shrink my Win 8.1 boot partition in disk manager- it kept telling me my disk didn't have enough free space, in spite of the fact that it should have had plenty.

Win 8.1 is installed on my SSD, I also have a HDD. When I couldn't make room for a new partition on the SSD, I shrank one of the partitions on my HDD and created some room for Win 10 Enterprise preview. I then put the Win 10 iso into a USB thumb drive with the Windows 7 utility mentioned in the HTG guide, and installed to the free space on my HDD.

Win 10 loads and runs, but all of my drives and partitions are renamed under Win 10. I can run programs off of my SSD, although Visual Studio tells me it is missing a dll and won't run. When I restart, there is no multi boot option from Windows. I downloaded easy BCD and tried to offer one, but the option doesn't work. I can still only boot into 10

I would like to be able to dual boot, or failing that to boot in Win 8.1

Any help?

Edited by yu gnomi, 07 February 2015 - 10:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:07 AM

Here's a tutorial to help rebuild your BCD. Should fix the issue.

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:43 AM

looking through tutorial- since I have installation discs, I will probably use that if I try this.

Any clue why it would be necessary to rebuild my BCD? I mean, would installing 10 have damaged the store for 8.1? or do they both use the same files?

Obviously, I am a little out of my depth here.

#4 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:12 AM

looking through tutorial- since I have installation discs, I will probably use that if I try this.

Any clue why it would be necessary to rebuild my BCD? I mean, would installing 10 have damaged the store for 8.1? or do they both use the same files?

NEVER install WIn 10 while other hard drives with a working OS is connected on the same machine.

When you installed Win 10 while Win 8.1 is connected on the same machine, Win 10 messed up with the boot manager and took over your machine. You need to rebuild the BCD for Win 8.1.

And since Win 10 is still a work-in-progress and new builds are being rolled out from time to time, STAY AWAY from dual booting. Make sure no other hard drive is connected when updating Win 10.

Edited by badr0b0t, 08 February 2015 - 02:12 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:47 AM

NEVER install WIn 10 while other hard drives with a working OS is connected on the same machine.

Why do you say that? Besides causing issues with the boot sector, what else might go wrong?

And since Win 10 is still a work-in-progress and new builds are being rolled out from time to time,

One of the updates does disable dual booting, which is why it's important to leave the main OS as the default in BCD

Make sure no other hard drive is connected when updating Win 10.

Why?

It's a compatible boot manager for Win Vista,7,8 an 10, though sometimes with dual OS systems these errors occur. It is common enough.

You'll know exactly what to do next time now :thumbup2:

To my knowledge there is no reason you can't dual boot Win 10. That said, it is a technical preview and there isn't that much for most users to do with it. The logical way to make it available to "check it out" is to run it as a virtual machine.

#6 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:08 AM

For the record, I am inclined to side with badr0b0t on this.

Bootrec /rebuildbcd did not fix my issue. While it is possible the longer method in that tutorial would have worked, I am sick of muddling around with command line stuff that I barely understand.

I had planned on re-formatting and installing Windows at some point, to change from MBR to GPT structure, so I am just going to do that tonite. I have already backed up what I need to save, the rest I will re-install.

So long Win 10, probably until October or later.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:16 AM

There aren't sides in computing, just facts. I was serious when I asked badr0b0t those questions.

I totally understand that you may not feel comfortable with the command line though. It's not for everyone.

Good luck with your install :thumbup2:

#8 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:34 AM

Why do you say that? Besides causing issues with the boot sector, what else might go wrong?

And since Win 10 is still a work-in-progress and new builds are being rolled out from time to time,

One of the updates does disable dual booting, which is why it's important to leave the main OS as the default in BCD

Why?

It's a compatible boot manager for Win Vista,7,8 an 10, though sometimes with dual OS systems these errors occur. It is common enough.

You'll know exactly what to do next time now :thumbup2:

To my knowledge there is no reason you can't dual boot Win 10. That said, it is a technical preview and there isn't that much for most users to do with it. The logical way to make it available to "check it out" is to run it as a virtual machine.

Before answering your questions, are you running Win 10? How? Psysical machine? Virtual machine?

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#9 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:44 AM

For the record, I am inclined to side with badr0b0t on this.

Bootrec /rebuildbcd did not fix my issue. While it is possible the longer method in that tutorial would have worked, I am sick of muddling around with command line stuff that I barely understand.

I had planned on re-formatting and installing Windows at some point, to change from MBR to GPT structure, so I am just going to do that tonite. I have already backed up what I need to save, the rest I will re-install.

So long Win 10, probably until October or later.

When you are trying to fix the BCD for Win 8.1, make sure the drive where Win 10 was installed is disconnected because it will keep taking over your pc.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#10 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:33 AM

Hi

Recently I experienced a similar problem on one of my 5 machines running a dual boot configuration with Windows 10 TP.

The fix was pretty simple and went like this...

1. Type this pc in the search window,

2. Right click This PC in the suggestion list and select Properties,

3. When the System window opens, select Advanced system settings from the menu on the left,

4. The System Properties window opens with the Advanced tab selected, choose Settings under Startup and Recovery section,

5. The Startup and Recovery window opens, under the System startup section make sure both boxes...

a. Time to display list of operating systems

b. Time to display recovery options when needed

Are checked.

6. Click Ok to close the Startup and Recovery window,

7. Click Apply and Ok to close the System Properties window,

8. Close Control Panel

9. Reboot the computer

10 Enjoy Dual Booting your system again!

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:40 PM

Why?

Before answering your questions, are you running Win 10? How? Psysical machine? Virtual machine?

I have run it in both mediums.

#12 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:58 PM

Why?

I have run it in both mediums.

I have nothing to explain. And I specified everything ONLY for Win 10. It's not applicable to all OS. ONLY for Win 10. It is what it is.

I only run Win 10 on bare metal. Not VM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:22 PM

Well don't make statements you cannot support then. It is bad for all of us.

#14 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

Well don't make statements you cannot support then. It is bad for all of us.

It's not that I can't support it. Those are common issues with Win 10. If you don't know about it, too bad. Standard troubleshooting procedure does not always apply to Win 10.

Edited by badr0b0t, 08 February 2015 - 06:38 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:38 PM

You stated no issues, you just stated things not to do for some reason. I asked what the issues are... as in "why?".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users