Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install problems

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 echard77

echard77

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:26 PM

Hello forum,

I recently received a laptop from my old job, which was wiped completely clean. I thought the key that was left on the battery was for windows xp professional, however it was for windows vista. I realized this when the product key failed to work. Anywho, I have been trying to uninstall, and I have no idea how, as I would like to install Ubuntu on this laptop. Every time I start, in some part of the installation, usually varies, I get the dreaded BSOD error. I was at first able to get back to the product key part, however I couldn't bypass it. When I get the BSOD error it says STOP: 0x0006607B, 0xc0000034, and 2 0x00000000 errors. I have tried everything from to boot up, but no matter what, I end up with the BSOD. I am sorry if this is a little vague, hopefully someone here has seen this issue before and can help. Thanks all!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:53 AM

You can't uninstall the operating system while booted into the operating system. You don't need to anyways. Boot from the Ubuntu install media, eventually you'll be taken by the installer to a screen where you can partition the disk. Just use the whole thing for Ubuntu, as well as an appropriately sized swap partition.

It refuses to run on those IOS's because the earlier versions of cIOScorp scooped out your Wii's innards and turned them into delicious Scrambled IOS Breakfast, which confused the crap out of their installer and gave TT all sorts of bizarre errors to scratch their heads over.

Limits are temporary, the boundaries of which are to be pushed by diligent study and application of oneself to the problem at hand.

#3 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:20 AM

Can you tell which BSOD (it usually says MEMORY_MANAGEMENT , PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA) ? Probably you have bad memory stick or some other hardware issue. Can you upload minidumps somewhere so i can analyze them ? They're located at C:/WINDOWS/Minidumps

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:46 AM

The BSODs are unimportant if the OP's intent is to wipe the Windows install.  There is no procedure to "uninstall" any version of Windows, you just format or delete the existing Windows partition.

If the proper key (legal) is not used with the install effort...it will not be successful, in all likelihood.  The result would be a series of unpredictable events, including hiccups during the attempted install process.

Until the license situation is adjusted properly...I would expect frustration.

If the proper, legal license is used in the install effort...after wiping out previous efforts...then any errors reflected during install efforts would bear investigation.

Louis

#5 echard77

echard77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:58 PM

Hello all, and thanks for the responses. the BSODs happen all the time, I have UBUNTU on a flash drive, and when I go to boot from the flash drive, it bombs out and gives me the BSOD. I should note that I was not getting the BSODS until after I cancelled the installation realizing I had the wrong version. This laptop was wiped completely clean, so I don't even have anything to boot to. The disk I was using is a friends, which has the license key on it, but I don't want to use that, and furthermore I cant even get back to the part where I enter the product key anyways. Hope this clears some things up, and again, thanks for your help.

#6 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:39 PM

Try booting from an Ubuntu install DVD and see if it fares better.

It refuses to run on those IOS's because the earlier versions of cIOScorp scooped out your Wii's innards and turned them into delicious Scrambled IOS Breakfast, which confused the crap out of their installer and gave TT all sorts of bizarre errors to scratch their heads over.

Limits are temporary, the boundaries of which are to be pushed by diligent study and application of oneself to the problem at hand.

#7 echard77

echard77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:37 AM

I do not have the install dvd, I downloaded it from their website.

#8 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:39 AM

Hold on a second. I've forgotten to ask the obvious questions. Have you followed steps to make the USB bootable, or did you just throw the iso on a flash drive?

#9 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:20 AM

Hold on a second. I've forgotten to ask the obvious questions. Have you followed steps to make the USB bootable, or did you just throw the iso on a flash drive?

Well,that can also happen that person just copies iso and thinks that USB is bootable. Rufus is best for making bootable USBs.

#10 echard77

echard77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:11 PM

I probably did not do that right. I went into the BIOS setup and enabled the computer to boot from usb drive. Please, do not spare the obvious questions with me. I tend to be forgetful!

#11 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:38 PM

Download Ubuntu Iso and save it somewhere.
Download Rufus and also save it.
You need to have at least 2GB for Ubuntu or 4GB for bigger distros like OpenSUSE
Lauch Rufus and you will see at "Create bootable ISO" small icon,click on it and find your iso.
If you get warning popup,click Yes.

And try to boot again.

#12 echard77

echard77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

Ok,I did this, and now I get "could not find kernel image /NULL" then it says boot:

no clue..

#13 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:43 PM

Have you tried with UnetBootin ? Just choose option #2 on program to browse for downloaded ISO.
And try to boot again.

#14 echard77

echard77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:11 PM

unetbootin does not seem to be working either. is there a way I can just reset the laptop to the factory settings? basically just start over? thanks again for all the help guys!

#15 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:28 PM

I think you've wiped out the recovery partition, if there was one. Anyways.

First, redownload your Ubuntu iso. Next, download this software: http://www.imgburn.com/. Next, insert a blank DVD-R. Then, burn the iso to the disc like so: https://neosmart.net/wiki/burning-iso-images-with-imgburn/#Burning_an_ISO_Image. Boot from the disc and install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users