Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't get AVG to uninstall

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chembel

chembel

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:13 PM

I had temporarily disabled AVG, through the system tray, to run Combofix. I had also disabled the AVG Firewall, AVG Watchdog, and AVGIDSAgent services through the Computer, Manage, Services tool. When Combofix was done, I restarted the computer, went back into the Computer, Manage, Services and was able to turn the AVG Firewall and AVGIDSAgent services back to Automatic and start them. However, When I try to turn the AVG Watchdog service to automatic, I am told that I do not have access. I am the administrator on this unit and now I don't know what to do. I can't use system restore because it says that the Firewall can't be turned off. I don't know how to fix this.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: Topic moved from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:25 PM

Try the AVG Remover.

#3 chembel

chembel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:47 PM

Thank you so much. That worked perfectly. I did not know what I was going to do.

#4 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:50 PM

welcomeyi.gif

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:50 PM

In the future, please do not run ComboFix unless you are being instructed to by a professional, or you've been trained to use that tool. quietman wrote a whole thread on ComboFix and its dangers when in inexperienced hands, I strongly suggest you to read it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:48 PM

In addition to Aura's excellent suggestion. You should have been aware of ComboFix's compatibility limitations.

From this page: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

You'll notice that Windows 8 is not listed in the Operating System section.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 chembel

chembel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:05 PM

Okay, I have been well and truly scolded. I will never run Combofix on Windows 8 again. I had used Combofix many times with Windows XP and 7, I just assumed it would work with 8.

Thanks for the heads up. I will be much more careful in the future.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:48 AM

My intentions were not to scold. But to inform you and others who may read this topic and be in a similar situation. My apologies if you felt you were being scolded.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:57 AM

Just so you know...sUBs has advised that he is holding off releasing any working version of his tools for Windows 8.1 which includes both ComboFix and DDS. Meaning he is fully aware of the compatibility issue but needs time for thorough testing to ensure they work safely on that OS.

In the future if you need individual assistance with a malware infection, other advanced tools are available but they cannot be used in this forum. You would need to follow the instructions in the Preparation Guide For Requesting Help for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.

Also be aware that anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel or to result in various errors due to the presence of related services and processes running in the background.

Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service (and associated processes) or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 chembel

chembel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:18 AM

Animal,

I need to be more careful about how I respond. I was just kidding. I realize the whole intention from anyone on this forum is to help me and others to be better computer gurus. As I said, I ASSUMED, (Bad Idea) instead of going out and really reading the information. I will be much more careful with this in the future and I thank you for taking the time and responding to me with the information. Otherwise I may not have been as well prepared the next time.

I really do appreciate all of the responses, and information given. Thank You!!!

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:54 AM

Helping others is what we are all about. Bleeping Computer is a family oriented site where we offer assistance to those who know very little about computing. As such, our forum discussion board and tutorials are targeted more for the novice user since they comprise much of our membership. We provide help based on that premise because it is impossible for us to know the extent of a member's background, knowledge level and experience level until we get to know them. We keep this in mind when writing replies since we know many novice members read various topics searching for answers without ever posting a reply.

Thus, we always provide the warnings about using ComboFix without proper supervision...not only for your benefit but as Animal noted, for others reading this topic.

Although some of our comments my appear simplistic, generic or stern, they certainly are not intended to be disparaging, condescending or an affront to any member personally in regards to their knowledge, skill or abilities.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users