Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound issue (software issue)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jman242

jman242

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

Hey guys,

I am fixing what was probably the most wrecked computer that has ever been seen on this forum (~500 pieces of malware, 52 independent trojans, and myriad viruses--lost count).  I have completely cleaned the computer, and have it almost completely ship-shape. The only issue that I am currently having is with the sound. I have verified that the sound and external touch buttons are working by popping in and running Ubuntu.  I have verified that both headphone jacks work (yes there are two specifically for headphones).

EDIT: computer is a HP dv6-1355dx, win7 home premium, 4 gigs of ram

What I see happening:

The touch sensor for the sound on the top of the laptop is red (off). The sound icon in the bottom left of the screen has a red X. When I left click on the red X the windows diagnostic window pops up.  It offers to assist in troubleshooting two different options:

Speakers and Dual Headphones -IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Independent Dual Headphones - IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

No matter which is checked, the troubleshooter completes and it states that the audio device(s) is/are disabled.

In device manager IDT High Definition Audio CODEC is shown under Sound, video and game controllers and is enabled.  I have uninstalled this driver, restarted, re-installed, and restarted to no avail. Rollback is not an option.

In Playback (under sound) it shows that "Speakers and Dual Headphones (IDT HDA Codec device is default)" is enabled. It also shows that the Independent Dual Headphones using the same codec is the default communications device.  Lastly under this is the SPDIF (Digital Out via HP Doc) and it is also using the same codec and is listed as ready.  Now for all three of these items, if I try and modify them from the Sound panel, there are no changes. By this I mean if I try to disable, change the default device or set one to the default communication device.

In services, I have checked "Audio Service" (no dependencies) and  "Windows Audio" (6 dependencies) and all main and dependent services are started, but still no sound.

I am wondering if there is an issue with the registry. Now, there are no recovery disks, no repair discs, no install discs, sound was working just two days ago within Windows. And to make matters just a tinsy-winsy bit worse, the windows key on the bottom of the laptop has worn off and no copy was ever made of the key.  At this point I am really open to suggestions. I'd hate to have to give back a laptop that has been cleaned, but has no sound.

Other notes:

Windows had never been updated in the five years the computer was owned. The computer is now updated, but has a bit of issues with wanting to download some 32 bit updates (even though Windows update states they are 64bit), the KB file on the Windows website states that it is 32bit.

I have tried re-installing the IDT HDA CODEC that was initially released with the machine, and also attempted later iterations, but no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 08 February 2015 - 09:24 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

Download and run Speccy http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/dl/193/

, It will display the registered product key for the version of windows that's installed and also give you tons of other useful info about the computer.

Edited by alv117, 07 February 2015 - 07:32 PM.

#3 jman242

jman242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for that, very nifty program that I will have to add to my next version of recovery tools! Sadly, the portion of the Microsoft site that one would normally download win7 home premium isn't working properly (not verifying keys) and when one contacts support, they get directed to a bad link that causes the user to end up at square one. 

I am wondering if it is a driver error again though. I just uninstalled the IDT codecs and the red light on the laptop went white (no devices listed of course), but when I install the codecs again, the light turns red.  Anyone familiar with IDT's control panel?  I'm going to give a brief synopsis of what I see, and what is going on in there.  I have a feeling there is a problem here.

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Driver Date: 7/21/2009

Driver Version: 6.10.6225.0

Sound

• Playback
    • Speakers and Dual Headphones (IDT HDA Codec) --default device
    • Independent Dual Headphones (IDT HDA Codec) -- (headphones plugged in) Default Communication Device/ (headphones out) Not plugged in
    • SPDIF (Digital Out via HP Dock) -- Ready
  • Recording (When opening this tab, the Sound window freezes, and task manager must be opened to close window, does not do this when IDT is uninstalled.  Also note stacsv64.exe (IDT PC Audio) and svchost.exe start demanding a lost of CPU time)
    • External Mic (IDT HDA Codec) --Default device (important to note that there is no external plugged in)
    • Integrated Microphone Array (IDT HDA Codec) -- Ready
    • Stereo Mix (IDT HDA Codec) -- Currently unavailable

Now I will attempt to define the IDT program. Please bear with me on this one. Bold is the main section, and italics denote things that can be attempted and my inferences.

Controls IDT Audio Settings from taskbar -> Right click "Open audio control panel"

Along the top is Playback, Recording, and Preferences, each has it's own categories and sub categories.

Playback

categories: Speakers and Dual Headphones, Independent Dual Headphones, and SPDIF (Digital Out via HP Dock)

Speakers and Dual Headphones

SRS Premium: (see image at bottom of post- note the master and volume cannot be unmuted but can be unmuted for the three devices)
Settings:  Speakers and Dual Headphones (set as default playback device) cannot be changed

Bass Management (disabled)

Setup: Provides the ability to change the focus of sound to the left or right speaker

Equalization: basic equalizer

Independent Dual Headphones

Settings: Independent Dual Headphones (disabled, will not allow enable unless plugged in), Bass Management

Setup: allows adjustment of sound focus in left ear or right ear

SPDIF (Digital Out via HP Dock)

Settings: Set as default playback device (disabled, will not allow enable)

Recording:

No muting for these devices, I am able to change the levels for input, but unknown if anything would be working

External Mic

Settings:

External Mic: *enabled* set as default recording device (will not disable)

Microphone Boost

Input Monitor: radial for Listen to this device, playback through (drop-down list of: default playback device, Speakers and Dual Headphones, and SPDIF) radials will not enable

Integrated Microphone Array

Settings:

Integrated Microphone Array :*disabled* Set as default recording device (will not enable)

Microphone Boost

Input Monitor: (same as above)

Processing:

Noise canceling options (I went ahead and just selected "Disables all Audio effects on this device" from the GUI, it shows the range from where sound will be recorded in the physical world)

Stereo Mix

Settings:

Stereo Mix: *disabled* Set as default recording device (will not enable)

Input Monitor: (Same as above)

Preferences

Settings

Custom: aesthetic options (Theme, custom theme, opacity)

General: Power (Radials for power management, regards "PC beep")

Minipanels:

Music: allows for saved presets from equalizer? <--poorly constructed section of the GUI

idtcontrol.png

Edits: spelling, italics, bolding, and statement about italics and bolding.

Edited by jman242, 07 February 2015 - 09:21 PM.

#4 jman242

jman242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:19 AM

As an update to the current issue, IDT is not the problem either. I was able to install realtek drivers and saw the speakers, headphones and spdif. The same issue holds though. Unable to hear sound, and all 7 required services are started and set to automatic (as mentioned in the first post).

Still looking for help on this.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:13 AM

Download and install the Quick Launch Buttons Driver here under Keyboard and Input Devices. Does that solve the problem. The Quick Launch Buttons allow you to mute and unmute from the keyboard.

Edit: If Quick Launch Buttons is listed in Remove Programs, uninstall it first before installing the one I linked to.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 February 2015 - 10:14 AM.

#6 jman242

jman242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:38 AM

I have downloaded all of the software/drivers.  It still has not worked.

EDIT: I thought that I uninstalled it previously, I was mistaken on that, attempting now. (at restart at the time of typing this.)

EDIT 2: Still not working. The touch section still not working (it does work and has worked for wi-fi) The sound in the bottom right still states "No speakers or headphones are plugged in" and still shows the three devices in Playback, and clicking Recording freezes the sound panel.

Edited by jman242, 09 February 2015 - 10:55 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:46 AM

Type Dxdiag in the Searchbox and run it. Does Dxdiag give any clues?

You can run sfc /scannow at an elevated command prompt. CMD > Run as Administrator. This will look for any system files that need to be replaced.

You can download the iso file of your Windows 7 version here.

Edit: I found a later IDT driver for Windows 7 by HP here.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 February 2015 - 11:54 AM.

#8 jman242

jman242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:38 PM

Dxdiag:

error dialog "Error: Problem getting extra sound info"

Sound 1 tab (same as Sound 2 tab except for a different name and status as default device)

Device

Name: Speakers (High Definition Audio Codec)

Hardware ID: HDAUDIO/\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7603&SUBS(gets cut off by DXDIAG, but driver properties shows the rest)YS_103C3627

Manufacturer ID: 1

Product ID: 65535

Type: WDM

Default Device: YES

Drivers

Name: HdAudio.sys

Version 6.01.7601.17514 (English)

Date: 11/20/2010 4:44:23 AM

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

Other Files:

Provider: Microsoft

srfc /scannow

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. 

I saved a copy to the desktop.

Digital River win 7 download

As mentioned before, I get in a loop, and tried when I got home from work this morning

IDT

Re-installing after restart.

EDIT: Still nothing

Edited by jman242, 09 February 2015 - 12:43 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:46 PM

Okay, I wonder if Microsoft took down the links. I will check around

It looks like they took down the links and now you have to enter a product key here. I am not sure if it will accept a OEM key or not. You can find your key using Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 February 2015 - 12:50 PM.

#10 jman242

jman242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:10 PM

I used speccy to get the key the other day. Do want to mention, I am not going to be able to reformat the hard drive, The user who's computer I am fixing seemed to be very against it. I will however mention that idea if there appears to be no other way to fix the sound drivers.

EDIT: The user just picked up the laptop. I'm not happy that I had to give it back to her without sound, but she says she never uses it. I mentioned that I could reformat and put all her files and programs back at least.  I just want to take a moment and thank everyone who submitted a suggestion. Thanks Alv117 for introducing me to speccy. Also, thank you JohnC_21 for introducing me to sfc (never knew this existed).  I know that I will eventually (some odd weekend or other) see that laptop again, so if you guys come up with future suggestions, I'd be all for trying it. Thanks again.

-jman242

Lawrence, KS

Edited by jman242, 09 February 2015 - 01:47 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:44 PM

I forgot that Speccy does give you the key. You could ask if the client would be open to a repair install from within windows.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-7.html

#12 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:46 PM

jman242.   I'm glad to have helped :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users