Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 14.04 stuck at 640x480 dell s2009wb monitor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:36 PM

I plugged my Dell s2009wb monitor into a Linux Ubuntu 14.04 computer and it says it failed all resolution tests and told me it will be set at 640x480. the monitor is capable of 1600x900 and all the resolutions that failed, worked on all Windows versions that monitor has been hooked up to, everything from Windows 98, XP, & 7. XP even included it's native 1600x900 resolution but Ubuntu doesn't like my monitor for some reason

How can I remedy this?

from Google:

Your search - ubuntu stuck 640x480 dell s2009wb - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

• Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
  • Try different keywords.
  • Try more general keywords.
  • Try fewer keywords.

edit: I searched the software center for both "dell monitor" and "s2009wb" and both got "no results" I go into software updates and additional drivers, it says "no proprietary drives are in use" and "No additional drivers are available"

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 07 February 2015 - 06:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:50 PM

Have you tried to reset it in All Settings / Screen display?

monitor10%3A46%3A23.png

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:30 PM

I have no option to do so AFAICS

Edit: I see your screenshot. I only have 640x480 available in that list

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 07 February 2015 - 07:32 PM.

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

If you type "xrandr" into your terminal what modes does it currently list? For example here is a screenshot of mine. The modes is the list of resolutions and refresh rates.

snITVEZ.png

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,395 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:26 PM

Dynamically testing different resolutions

You can either use the Screen Resolution GUI tool to experiment with different resolutions, or the more powerful xrandr command-line tool. Without parameters, xrandr shows you the names of different outputs available on your system (LVDS, VGA-0, etc.) and resolutions available on each:

• $ xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1400 x 1050, maximum 1400 x 1400
    VGA disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    LVDS connected 1400x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 286mm x 214mm
       1400x1050      60.0*+   50.0  
    [...]

You can direct xrandr to set a different resolution like this:

• $ xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1024x768
    $ xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1024x768

The refresh rate may also be changed, either at the same time or independently:

• $ xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1024x768 --rate 75
    $ xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1024x768 --rate 60
Note that changes you make using xrandr only last through the current session. xrandr has a lot more capabilities - see man xrandr for details.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:14 PM

Have you tried booting from the media that you used for the install & run it in Live Mode with the monitor attached? 

While this won't fix your issue, it'll help in diagnosing if it's the OS or the monitor. If it works in Live Mode, that will be encouraging. Though this isn't normally an issue with monitor changes, during the install process, the needed drivers for your entire computer will be installed. This is why it's recommended to be connected to the Internet during install. 

Finally, have you ensured that your cable on both ends are connected properly? And are of the correct type? While VGA cables are basically the same, there are differences in DVI cables, what will work on one computer, won't on another. Yes it sounds strange, but I've seen it firsthand. A DVI-D cable that wouldn't work on my HP 2010i 20" LCD monitor, did on my mom-in-law's newer model. On mine, in the center of the screen it said to 'check cable connection' or similar error. Placed it on hers & it worked perfectly. Both has DVD-D & VGA connections. 

Actually, it was an HDMI to DVI-D adapter/converter cable. 

At any rate, booting with your install media & seeing how it goes will be a good starting point. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users